The Institution of Engineers (India) conducts an Associate Member of the Institution of Engineers (AMIE) for its Associate Membership. This examination is considered to be on par with B.E. / B.Tech. when contemplated as an eligibility qualification to write competitive examinations like the Indian Civil Service, Indian Engineering Services, GATE, etc., and for employment in Government, public and private sectors in India. The Indian Ministry of Human Resource Development considers this qualification is equivalent to a degree in engineering. The qualification can be earned by passing Section A, Project Work and Section B examination of the Institution.
Eligibility Criteria for AMIE 2012
For Technical Members:
- Every candidate for election as a Technician Member shall satisfy the Council that he possesses the following:
- Age: He shall have attained the age of 17 years on the date of his application for election.
- Educational Qualification: Candidates, who have passed 10+2 level or having passed any of the following examinations in English and secured at least 45% marks in aggregate as well as 45% marks in aggregate in science subjects(Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics), shall only be eligible to apply. The examinations are –
- Intermediate Science Examination with English, Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry.
- Bachelor of Science Examination with Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry.
- Passing of the first year examination or promotion to the second year of a three-year Bachelor’s degree course with any one of the subjects: Mathematics or Physics or Chemistry, provided the candidate has passed the Pre-university or 10+2 or an equivalent examination with English, Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry.
- Passing of the two-year course (10 + 2 + 3 system) with English, Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry, conducted by any State Board of Higher Secondary Education or recognized Indian University after 10 years of school education.
- Pre-professional Examination in Engineering or then passing of the first year examination of five-year integrated course in Engineering.
- Pre-engineering Examination.
- Board of Apprenticeship Training admission Examination, West Bengal.
- B. Arch. Preliminary Examination of Calcutta University.
- Passing of first year examination of B.Tech. Ed. Of Regional College of Education, Ajmer.
- Vocational Higher Secondary Course from Directorate of Vocational Higher Secondary Education, Kerala.
- Senior Secondary School Certificate from National Institute of Open Schooling, New Delhi.
- Diploma in (i) Diesel Mechanics, (ii) Electrical Instrument Mechanics, (iii) Vocational Training for Fitter conducted at Sumant Moolgaonkar Engineering Institute, Kymore (MP).
- Diploma in Surface Coating Technology conducted by Board of Technical Examinations, Maharashtra.
- Certificate of Vocational Education Examination in Telecommunication Engineering Technician conducted by the Council for Indian School Certificate Examination.
- Intermediate Vocational Course in (i) Automobile Engineering Technician, (ii) Road and Buildings Construction Technician, and (iii) Construction Technology conducted by Board of Intermediate Education, Andhra Pradesh.
- Vocational Course in Electronic Repair Technician conducted by Goa Board of Secondary & Higher Secondary Education.
- Auto Engineering Technician course conducted by Maharashtra State Board of Secondary & Higher Secondary Education, Pune.
- Vocational Higher Secondary course from Board of Higher Secondary Examinations, Tamil Nadu.
- Vocational course in Rural Engineering Technician from Board of Intermediate Education, Andhra Pradesh.
- Academic Training: He shall, in the opinion of the Council, be making satisfactory progress in the acquisition of qualification for corporate membership.
For Senior Technician Members:
Every candidate for election as a Senior Technician Member or transfer from Technician Member to Senior Technician Member shall satisfy the Council that he possesses the following:
- Age: He shall have attained the age of 18 years on the date of his application for election or transfer.
- He shall be engaged in the engineering profession as a pupil or apprentice or assistant under a Corporate Member and shall, in the opinion of the Council, be making satisfactory progress in the acquisition of qualification for corporate membership provided that temporary unemployment is no bar to his election.
- Examination: He shall have passed either (a) an accredited diploma examination in engineering or technology or its equivalent as recognized by the Council or (b) such other examination recognized by the Council as exempting from passing Section A (Non-diploma) Examination of the Institution.
- Educational Qualification:
- Candidates, who have passed an examination as listed in Appendix II (Part I),shall be eligible to apply for Senior Technician membership.
- Candidates, who possess any qualification as listed in Appendix II (Part II),shall be eligible to apply for Senior Technician membership, claiming complete exemption from Section A Examination of the Institution.
For Foreign Qualifications:
Engineering qualifications from abroad are not listed in Appendices II and III, but holders of such qualifications may also apply for admission to appropriate class of membership and the case will be considered on an individual merit after ascertaining the standard of the qualifications from the national society of engineers of the countries concerned.
For Frequent updates you can share with your friends,
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter and Google
Do you like this story?