Chartered Accountant Common Proficiency Test commonly known as CA CPT examination is conducted by Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI) for providing admission to Chartered Accountancy courses.
It is an entry level test for Chartered Accountancy Course. It is a test which has four subjects i.e. Accounting, Mercantile Laws, General Economics and Quantitative Aptitude. This test consists of 200 marks and is divided into two sessions of two hours each.
A Simplified Entry to the Chartered Accountancy Course
- CPT will replace existing Professional Education (Course-I) which requires 10-month study period followed by an exhaustive theoretical examination.
- This entrance exam is conducted by the institute 4 times a year in all major cities of India.CA CPT Exam is held in the months of February, May, August and November. This will reduce long waiting for entry to the chartered accountancy education and training.
- After passing CPT and 10+2 standard conducted by an examining body constituted by law in India or an examination recognized by the Central Government as equivalent thereto may join the Chartered Accountancy Course.
Different levels of Chartered Accountancy Course
- Entry Level Test : Common Proficiency Test
- First Stage : Professional Competence Course
- Final Stage : Final Course
There is a concurrent article ship training of 3 ½ years. After passing CPT and 10+2 standard examination, a student has to take admission to Professional Competence Course and simultaneously register for article ship training.