National Institute of Technology Calicut (NITC) sees highest salary packages for the placements this year. It has been reported that Amazon.com recruited two computer science students offering an whooping annual pay of Rs.16 lakh. Last year the highest salary bagged by an NITC student was Rs.12 lakh. In 2007-08, it was Rs.11.5 lakh. It was Rs.9 lakh in 2006-07, Rs.6 lakh in 2005-06 and 2004-05.
- While computer science students bagged an average annual pay of Rs. 6.1 lakh in the current year.
- The electrical students got Rs.6.6 lakh
- Mechanical students Rs.5.8 lakh
- Chemical engineering student Rs.5.95 lakh
- Production engineering students Rs.4.4 lakh
- Civil engineering students Rs.4.1 lakh
- Electronics students Rs.4.5 lakh.
- More than 90 per cent of the computer science students at NITC have already been placed this year. This shows that the demand in IT core sector is steady and high.
Do you like this story?
Interestingly, bright students have been preferring electronics and communication at NITC. But higher salary is taken by the students of computer science. One reason for this backwardness of the electronics and communication students is that the semiconductor industry is yet to pick up in the country. This paradox is apparent in all other NITs as well. The highest pay taken by an electronics and communication student may be Rs. 8 to 9 lakh a year. But a computer science student may take an annual pay up to Rs.20 lakh. The average annual salaries of IIT graduates registered a drop of 5 percent to Rs. 588,000 during 2009, while the average salary of NIT graduates salary improved 6 percent to Rs. 436,000 annually.