Hotel management has become a vital aspect of today's business environment owing to the robust growth in the country's trade and economy. The industry is being benefited largely by the promotion of tourism and increasing sporting events like the IPL which attracts many tourist to the country. Now the field is not limited within the country but has already extended to internationally operated chains of hotels. The result is increase in the demand of well trained quality professional people who can manage the hotel business. Candidates should not only have a good organizational background, excellent communication and interpersonal skills but also a zeal for self-discipline. He / she must be an extrovert, co-operative, polite and respectful to the guests, and also have patience to deal with guest’s criticism even when one knows that he/she is right.
- Candidates seeking admission to the hotel management courses in India need to pass their 12th standard examination with English as a subject.
- There are several courses in Hotel Management like Diploma in Hotel Management (DHM), Bachelor of Hotel Management (BHM) and Post Graduate Diploma in Hotel Management (PGDHM).
- Students with a bachelor's degree from any recognized university may also join some of the management training schemes offered by various institutions.
- Most of the government recognized institutes conduct common entrance test that consists of questions concerning English, Reasoning, General Science and General Knowledge.
- The time duration of the courses offered by several institutes may vary from six months to three years.
- Hotel management job opportunities exists both in the private and public sector.
- Students from reputed institutes of hotel management can join catering services of Railways, Airlines, Shipping companies, Banks and also in Defense sector.
- The need for professional hotel managers is looming large in several clubs, hotels and tourism associations across the country.
- Besides industrial canteen and other institutional canteen of colleges, schools, factories and company guest house also need the service of such people.
- A few proceed to pursue postgraduate studies in hotel management and opt for teaching jobs.
- Hospitals and other institutions also engage hotel management professionals.
- Self employment opportunities are always available to Hotel Management graduates.
- Self employment in this sector is always highly remunerative.
- Minimum monthly salaries are approximately Rs. 7500-Rs 10000 depending upon factors such as the category of employing hotel, institute from where the student graduated, city of location, etc.
- In public sector organization salary is lower than from industrial houses, private airlines, shipping companies etc.
For Frequent updates you can share with your friends,
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter and Google+
Do you like this story?