The last top B-school exam, XAT is all set to be held on January 6, 2013. The XAT score is accepted by more than 100 B-schools for admission into MBA programs. This time the XAT paper pattern has undergone a change after many years.
Changed exam pattern for XAT 2013
XAT 2013 will be conducted in two-parts:
- The first part consisting of multiple choice questions in – a) quantitative and data interpretation ability, b) analytical reasoning and decision making and c) verbal and logical areas. The time allotted for this part will be 140 minutes.
- The second part will include the new addition to the paper - General awareness section and essay writing. The time allotted for this part will be 40 minutes.
While most of the aspirants are sure about the first section of the paper, the major concern for XAT takers is the new General awareness section. What to expect and how to prepare is the common question among the exam takers. If you are one of the XAT 2013 takers and wondering how to prepare, we at Minglebox have put together what you could expect and how to prepare.
So what is the general awareness section all about?
XAT 2013 general awareness section will test the students on their knowledge in business, politics, economics and social developments. Therefore, keeping a track of the current affairs is crucial. Students are encouraged to read major newspapers and know the current political, business and economic scenario of the country and the world.
How many questions are expected?
Around 20-30 questions are expected in the XAT 2013 general awareness section, although XLRI has not announced the exact number of questions yet. It is advised not to spend more than 15 minutes on this section as a maximum of 30 seconds per question is more than enough time as per the experts. Remember, the questions are objective and you should only choose one option.
What are the best preparation tips given that there is very little preparation time?
- Keep yourself up-to-date with current affairs. Read newspapers and magazines to know the current scenario.
- Read about the major companies and their leaders. It is important to know the current leaders of the corporate world. Search for the best places to work in to know the leading companies and brands.
- Research on the advertising slogans/ brand taglines. You can receive a lot of information about this on the internet.
- Know the bestselling books –business books and biographies. Check websites like Amazon, Flipkart or simply Google.
- Pay attention to business and management terms. You can learn the abbreviations from the RBI website. Wikipedia also offers you an extensive list of finance and business abbreviations.
Students must not forget that there is no prescribed syllabus for general knowledge. Having said that, reading everything that is present in the last minute will do no good either. Probability of questions being asked from the sections mentioned above is more. Concentrating on these could be a good start.
Best of Luck!!
For Frequent updates you can share with your friends,