MBA in healthcare or hospital management fulfils specific requirements of middle level administrators in hospitals or healthcare and related sectors.
MBA program in healthcare or hospital management will provide a professional qualification and insights into managerial functions for those serving graduates who wish to take up healthcare services, pharma business management, pharmaceutical management and health or hospital management as a professional career. It will also be of immediate benefit to serving professionals in this sector.
MBA in healthcare or hospital management is a 2 years course, designed to prepare students for senior positions in healthcare services. The program combines the management and specialized training of an Executive MBA program, with expertise training in healthcare or hospital management.
Eligibility criteria to the courses would vary depending upon the course and the college. Some might require undergraduates and some might require graduates with/without MBA entrance exam scores.
The area of study includes:
- Fundamentals of Health Care Administration
- Hospital Enterprises Management
- Healthcare Policies and Regulations
- Quantitative Methods/ Techniques for Taking Decisions
- Strategic Negotiation and Conflict Management
- Managerial Accounting and Cost Management in Healthcare
- Management of Disease Control ,Basic Economics and Healthcare Economics
- Strategic Management of Healthcare Organizations
- Operations Management ,Health Management and Information Management in Healthcare
- Administration of Hospital and Health Care Planning
- General and Personnel Management in Health Institutions
- Concepts of Epidemiology (Public Health Administration), Anatomy, Physiology and Medical Terminology
- Financial Management & Inventory Control in Hospitals
- Behavioral Science (Leadership and Organizational Behavior in Hospitals)
- Organization & Management of Hospitals
- Research Methodology
- Healthcare Legislation and Medico Legal Issues
- Human Resource Management and Material Management
- Quality Assurance
- Hospital Engineering Services
- Disaster & Risk Management
- IT in Healthcare services
- Managed Healthcare
List of institutes offering MBA or PGDM in Healthcare or Hospital Management:
10. KEM Healthcare Management Institute, Pune
As a Hospital Administrator one has to be responsible for the overall organization and management of the hospital to ensure its smooth functioning with the objective of ensuring the complete satisfaction of the patient. You will have to co-ordinate between the various departments of the hospital, ensure that all the equipment is functional, that there is a smooth flow of medical supplies and above all the required standards of cleanliness are maintained. And also will have to deal with the employees and financial matters.
The emphasis is on quality, efficiency and cost containment. The challenge is to deliver the highest quality care at the lowest cost. It entails giving 100% of your time to quality in-patient care, lowering the length of stay, decreasing resource utilization and working with the medical and administrative staff to co-ordinate all aspects of in-house care.
There are numerous career opportunities in healthcare related sector in private or public sectors. One can work in hospitals, clinics, old age homes, medical colleges and in state health department.
Some of the job profiles in health care or hospital or pharmaceutical management are as follows:
- Health Administrator
- Internal Corporate Analyst
- PR Officer
- Health Care Provider
- Ambulatory Clinic Manager
- Chief Nursing Officer
- Chief Operating Officer
- Medical Superintendent
- Director Hospital
- CEO-Hospital/ Nursing Home
- Hospital Planning Adviser
- Healthcare Management Executive
- Hospital Quality Assurance Executive
- Consultant-Disaster Management
- Consultant-Trauma & Patient Care System
- Faculty position in Hospital Administration Department in Medical Colleges and Health Institutions
- Professors Associate/ Assistant Professors