To get admission into a top B-schools or MBA institutes, student has to undergo a selection process which most commonly includes :
1. Written Test
2. Group Discussion
3. Personal Interview
4. Essay Writing
5. Psychometric Test
6. Group Task
7. Management Games
The written exam tests the aptitude of the candidate in a number of areas. It usually consists of questions related to :
1. Quantitative Ability: (Questions in Mathematics mostly from 8-9-10 standard, covering Arithmetic, Geometry, Menstruation, Algebra, Trigonometry and Co-ordinate Geometry)
2. Verbal Section: Questions in the area cover Grammar, Sentence Correction, Vocabulary, Reading Comprehension & Verbal Analogies.
3. Data Interpretation: Analysis of Data. Usually data is in form of tables, charts, graphs. Students are required to study them and answer the related questions
4. Logical Reasoning/Ability: Questions to be solved using Common Logic
5. General Awareness: Questions pertaining to current/past issues (national & global), economics, general knowledge etc.
There Popular Entrance exams for MBA/PGDM courses in the country. Some of the exams are preferred by large number of institutes as a part of their admission processes. There are some management institutes which conduct their own entrance exams. Here is the list of Popular MBA Entrance Exams:
IIM's CAT is the first step in order to take admission in the full-time post graduate degree program in India's most popular B-schools. The IIM institutes like IIM Ahmadabad, IIM Bangalore, IIM Calcutta, IIM Indore, IIM Kozhikode, IIM Lucknow are considered the top B school which offer MBA programs. CAT examination is the written examination which is organised by the Indian Institute of Management (IIM) and is an important and the first part of the selection process. If the student is selected, he or she would then be called for the personal interview and the group discussion.
Features of CAT Examination:
- The CAT paper is divided into four parts called verbal ability, Problem solving, Reading comprehension, and Data Interpretation.
- The questions are required to be answered using a HB pencil on a computer coded answer sheet.
- The negative marks would be given in case of incorrect answers
- The question paper pattern is changed every year in order to prevent certainty.
MAT is the National Entrance test for the admission to MBA programs and other equivalent post graduate programs of the institutes that participate in the test. The test is conducted by the All India Management Aptitude Testing Service (AIMATS), New Delhi. MAT is conducted 4 times a year in almost all the cities of India and also in overseas location.
Features of MAT:
- MAT is an objective type based test having multiple choice questions
- The test has 5 segments called the Language comprehension, Mathematical Skills, Data Analysis, Indian and Global Environment, Intelligence and Critical Reasoning.
XAT is Xavier’s Admission Test which is conducted by XLRI Jamshedpur on all India level in order to select the best students for management courses. It has been conducted for 50 years as a gateway to XLRI as well as other affiliated institutes like XIME and XIM. XAT score is considered to choose the students at about 42 more institutes like GIM, LIBA etc. The exam is always held on the first Sunday of January every year.
- Data Interpretation and Quantative ability
- Verbal ability and Logical reasoning and Analytical
- Analytical Reasoning and Decision making
Students are expected to write a short essay on topics that have social relevance.
SNAP is conducted in order to take admission in the post graduate programs offered by Symbiosis International (Deemed University). It is the initial step in the selection process and if selected, students have to undergo other rounds of interview as well. Registrations are done through their website as per the instructions given.
SNAP has the following 4 segments:
- General English
- Quantative, Data Interpretation and Data sufficiency
- General awareness, Current Affairs, General Knowledge and Business Scenario
- Logical and Analytical Reasoning
The first three sections contain 40 marks each and the last section contains 60. The duration of the test is 2 hours.
Faculty of Management Studies Institute, Delhi conduct FMS test in order to select the appropriate students for the management programs that include Full time MBA, MBA in Management of Services. Students can apply for the exam through their website.
Features of the FMS Exam:
The FMS exam has the following segments:
- Quantative Aptitude
- Data Interpretation
- Analytical Reasoning
- Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension
All of the above segments are covered in the 175 questions.
IIFT Test is conducted by the Indian Institute of Foreign trade which has campuses in Delhi and Kolkata. IIFT is a 2 hour long test which covers General Knowledge and Awareness, English Comprehension, Logical reasoning and Quantative Analysis.