There is the idea of a book in the author, and it is the skillfulness of the publisher to bring it out.The Publishing courses are offered in degree, diploma and certificate level. One can do Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Book Publishing, Publishing Professionals Course Content, NBT Training Course in Book Publishing or Diploma in Printing Technology. Some printing press is also conducting short-term courses or training courses in publishing. Generally, the eligibility for the courses is a pass in Higher Secondary Certificate Examination (10+2) from any recognized Board.
Most publishers prefer to train their own staff to suit their requirements:
1. After XII (any subject), graduation/postgraduation in journalism are suitable for shouldering editorial responsibility. Computing skills are required for word processing.
2. Graduates of Art/ graphic designers/commercial art/photography/ calligraphy can join the art department.
3. Class XII (PCM) followed by a diploma in printing technology can join the production department
Some of prominent Publishing Courses are:
- 2 year Diploma in Press management including DTP and printing.
- B.A with Book Publishing
- 1 year P.G. Diploma in Printing and Publishing
- 2 year P.G. Diploma in Printing tech & Management
- Short term course in E publishing-Institute of Book-publishing
- 3 months post graduate course in publishing
- 4 week training course in book publishing
- 1 year certificate course in Binding & Finishing
The emergence of knowledge economy has added significant value to those who seek to pursue a career in publishing industry. The work involves converting raw manuscripts or written materials into a readable, grammatically correct and well-illustrated format.