Pondicherry University was established in 1985 and has just completed its 25th year of existence. The campus is spread over 780 acres of land with lush green tropical vegetation; and its entire campus is Wi-Fi enabled. It has emerged as India’s fastest expanding central university crossing growth mark of 300% during the last four years and has about 5000 students now representing 33 states of the country and abroad, and over 450 highly qualified faculty from across the country.
The university has a state of the art library with remote access to over 31,000 digital information resources through a dedicated library portal. It also has modern laboratories equipped with sophisticated analytical instruments, facilities for sports and fitness, 24 hours medical facility and a host of other amenities that make the campus self-contained and provide an ambience for academic pursuit.
Pondicherry University has a separate Directorate of Distance Education (DDE) from 1995, offering a variety of courses at PG level. The courses offered by the Directorate are innovative and job oriented. The programs such as MBA (Marketing), MBA (Finance), MBA (HRM) and MBA (International Business) are some of the very first programs to be launched through the distance mode in the entire nation. Experienced faculties from various universities are drawn to deliver lectures during personal contact programs so as to give maximum academic inputs to the students. Course materials are prepared assiduously by using experienced faculty.
Some of the salient features of DDE are mentioned below:
- Academic programs recognized by the UGC, Association of Indian Universities, Distance Education Council (DEC), New Delhi.
- Being a central university with the entire country as its jurisdiction, the DDE has a national reach.
- The degrees are eligible for jobs in the private as well as public sectors (both central and state government).
- Multiple modes of admission: Spot admission at designated centers; Admission at the twinning program centers of the DDE and on-line admission.
- Supply of quality study material for all the subjects along with standard text books of premier publishers for selected subjects.
- Student learning is made easy through personal contact programs (PCPs)
- Examinations are conducted by the DDE at regular intervals across the country.
- Fee structure is affordable.
The university has recently introduced the concept of offering courses under twinning program by entering into a memorandum of understanding with reputed institutions having well qualified faculty, infrastructure and learning facilities. Twinning is an innovative educational concept which widens the scope of educational opportunity and access for students, keeping in view their weekly schedules of learning time. It envisages a tie-up between the Directorate of Distance Education, Pondicherry University and an existing reputed institute. The programs which are offered by the university through the distance mode are offered at these institutions.
The marked difference of twinning program from the conventional distance education programs is that the students undergo a rigorous extended classroom session on all week-ends/ evening hours during the academic year, instead of the usual personal contact programs conducted once in a semester.
For more information log onto Pondicherry University DDE
For more details, please click here.
For Frequent updates you can share with your friends,