Statement of Purpose: How to Write a SOP
The Statement of Purpose (SoP) is a very important part of your application to any of the foreign universities. It is an opportunity you get to tell the universities about yourself beyond what is revealed by answering the standard questions asked in the application form.
The Statement of Purpose could make a great impact in an application in most cases and that is why you should research and mull over what to project in your letter. Most universities require statement of purpose which is also called as an essay or cover letter in the range of 300 to 1,000 words. You need to check the specific requirements before writing and it is a daunting task to say what you have achieved and your goals in only so many words, hence you need to careful about how you want to portray yourself.
Admissions committees look for candidates with clear, well-defined research interests that arise from experience. With that in mind, your statement should reveal that you care deeply about your chosen discipline and that you have the background to support your ideas and sentiments. It should also demonstrate that you're a diligent student who will remain committed for the long haul.
Here we list few helpful pointers on writing a successful Statement of Purpose which you could incorporate in your own letter for more effectiveness.
Pointers to write a successful Statement of Purpose:
· Divide your statement of purpose into various paragraphs, each highlighting one of the many important points that you would like talk about.
· At the start of your SOP you could include information regarding your motivation to pursue the course you are applying for. Explain how the course and the university relate to your personal experiences and interests.
· Follow this with details of the proposed course and its relevance to you. Research the course well and let it show in what you put down in the statement. Explain what the university offers particularly different to help your need to study the course. You could also reflect on the individual modules of the course.
· Describe your background including details of your academic record and work experience. Highlight your achievements, particularly those related to the field of study you wish to pursue. Explain your overall GPA and, if need be, specific scores. Make sure you highlight your best performance during the years of your previous study.
· Finally include details of your future plans. This section could be used to explain how the chosen course will help you achieve your goals. You could also explain how you plan to use the skills and knowledge you would gain through the course to make a positive change in your community.
Your Statement o Purpose should portray you as:
· Passionate. You can think of a `hook’ to explain why you are passionate towards the field of study you have chosen.
· Intelligent. Your SoP should bring in your intelligence by the overall writing, expression and organization of the letter.
· Well prepared. Describing the specific kinds of coursework and other accomplishments you have in the field, shows you are well prepared for the course.
· Ready to take on challenges. Pursuing higher studies in a university is not easy and you should convey that you are ready to take on the challenges and be successful.
· Friendly and focused. You can show yourself as a generally nice and cooperative person and also has the ability "to finish the graduate program" by conveying implicitly your success thus far and more explicitly if you can tell some brief story about adverse obstacles you have overcome.
Checklist for Writing a Statement of Purpose
You should try to have your Statement of Purpose in an organized manner. Here is a check list for you to make sure that you have them covered.
· A "hook" that demonstrates your passion for the field
· Segué the story to your background in the field
· Description of your academic background in the field
· Specific classes you have taken, given by name
· Specific professors you have had, especially if well-known in that field
· Extracurricular activities in the field
· Publications or other professional accomplishments in the field (perhaps conference presentations or public readings)
· Explanations about problems in background (if needed)
· Explanation of why you have chosen the specific grad school
· Mention one or two professors in that school and what you know of and appreciate about their work.
· Specific features of the grad program which attract you
· Get advice from several of your teachers — philosophical advice as well as specific writing advice.
· Proofread and copy edit; ask friends to proofread and edit if required as well
Click here to know more about the application procedureDo you like this story?
Relevant pages for Statement of Purpose
STUDYABROAD | Study in UK: what is role of the statement of purpose while the evaluation of applicat
.. essays, and/or statement of purpose, also play a very important role in the.. ... A personal statement should include reasons for choosing this.. .. while the evaluation of application for admission in UK..
../or statement of purpose, play a very important role in the process of evaluating.. .. 18 Jul 11 View All Question n Answers Samples of Statement of purpose.. ..... What should the content of statement of purpose..
.. Samples of Statement of purpose for Masters in administrative science ... By dr.. ..... What should the content of statement of purpose.. ../or statement of purpose, play a very important role in the process of evaluating..
..="http://milanescorts.com/">****** girl milan Relevant pages for Tips on Writing Statement of Purpose.. .. Tips on Writing Statement of Purpose | Minglebox ..="http.. ..://milanescorts.com/">****** girl milan Relevant pages for Tips on Writing Statement of Purpose..
.. Abroad SOP Details on SOP Statement of purpose Do's and Don'ts for Your.. .. Statement of Purpose It is your chance to demonstrate your unique.. ... Following " Do's and Don'ts for Your Statement of Purpose " will help you write..
.. ..: 26 Sep 2011 The Statement of Purpose ( SoP ) is one of the most important.. ..: Your Statement of Purpose ( SoP .. http://www.. ...minglebox.com/article/studyusa/guidelines-for-writing-a-great- - Guidelines for writing a great SoP | Minglebox ..: 26 Sep 2011 The Statement of Purpose..
..: Your Statement of Purpose ( SoP .. http://www.. ...minglebox.com/article/studyusa/guidelines-for-writing-a-great- - Guidelines for writing a great SoP | Minglebox ..: 26 Sep 2011 The Statement of Purpose.. .... ..: First impression is important: Your Statement of Purpose ( SoP .. http://www..
.... ..: First impression is important: Your Statement of Purpose ( SoP .. http://www.. ...minglebox.com/article/studyusa/guidelines-for-writing-a-great- - Guidelines for writing a great SoP | Minglebox ..: 26 Sep 2011 The Statement of Purpose.. .... ..: First impression is important: Your Statement of Purpose ( SoP .. http://www..
... Writing a reasonably good Statement of Purpose is not an impossible task.. ... Here are some things to keep in mind when writing your Statement of Purpose.. ...com/answers/studyabroad/i-am-confused-in-writing-my- - Guidelines for writing a great SoP | Minglebox ..: 26 Sep 2011 The Statement of Purpose..
.. Answers Samples of Statement of purpose for Masters in administrative science ... By dr.. ..... What should the content of statement of purpose.. .. essays, and/or statement of purpose, play a very important role in the..
No results? Submit your query and we'll get back to you as soon as possible!
You may also like to read
Related Question and Answer