National Educational Testing Bureau of University Grants Commission (UGC) conducts National Eligibility Test (NET) on Sunday, June 29, 2014. The exam is conducted to determine the eligibility for lectureship and for award of Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) for Indian nationals in order to ensure minimum standards for the entrants in the teaching profession and research. The test is conducted in Humanities (including languages), Social Sciences, Forensic Science, Environmental Sciences, Computer Science and Applications and Electronic Science.
Eligibility Criteria for UGC NET Exam 2014 –
- Candidates who have secured at least 55% marks (without rounding off) in master’s degree or equivalent examination from universities/institutions recognized by UGC in Humanities (including languages) and Social Science, Computer Science & Applications, Electronic Science etc. are eligible for this test. The Scheduled Caste (SC)/Scheduled Tribe (ST)/Persons with disability (PWD) category candidates who have secured at least 50% marks (without rounding off) in master’s degree or equivalent examinations are eligible for this test.
- Candidates who have appeared or will be appearing at the qualifying master’s degree (final year) examination and whose result is still awaited or candidates whose qualifying examinations have been delayed may also apply for this test. However, such candidates will be admitted provisionally and shall be considered eligible for award of JRF/Assistant Professor eligibility only after they have passed their master’s degree examination or equivalent with at least 55% marks (50% marks in case of SC/ST/PWD (Persons with disability) category candidates). Such candidates must complete their PG degree examination within two years from the date of NET result with required percentage of marks, failing which they shall be treated as disqualified.
- The Ph.D. degree holders whose master’s level examination had been completed by 19th September, 1991 (irrespective of date of declaration of result) shall be eligible for a relaxation of 5% in aggregate marks (i.e., from 55% to 50%) for appearing in NET.
- Candidates are advised to appear in the subject of their post-graduation only. The candidates, whose post graduation subject is not covered in the list of subjects in item no. 9, may appear in a related subject.
- Candidates belonging to SC/ST/OBC (Non-creamy layer)/PWD category are required to submit attested copy of the category certificate along with online printout of their application forms (obtained while applying on-line). Other candidates are not required to submit any certificates/documents in support of their eligibility along with printout of their application form. Therefore, the candidates, in their own interest, must satisfy themselves about their eligibility for the test. In the event of any ineligibility being detected by the Commission at any stage, their candidature will be cancelled and they shall be liable for legal action.
- Candidates having post-graduate diploma/certificate awarded by Indian university/institute or foreign degree/diploma/certificate awarded by the foreign university/institute should in their own interest, ascertain the equivalence of their diploma/degree/certificate with master’s degree of recognized Indian universities from Association of Indian Universities (AIU), New Delhi. (www.aiuweb.org)
Exemption (Eligibility for Assistant Professor)
- NET/SLET/SET shall remain the minimum eligibility condition for recruitment and appointment of Assistant Professors in universities/colleges/institutions. Provided however, that candidates, who are or have been awarded a Ph.D. degree in accordance with the University Grants Commission (Minimum standards and procedure for award of Ph.D. degree) Regulations, 2009, shall be exempted from the requirement of the minimum eligibility condition of NET/SLET/SET for recruitment and appointment of Assistant Professor or equivalent positions in universities/ colleges/institutions.
- The candidates who have passed the UGC/CSIR JRF examination prior to 1989 are also exempted from appearing in NET.
- For SET Candidates: The candidates who have cleared the State Eligibility Test (SET) accredited by UGC for eligibility for Assistant Professor held prior to 1st June 2002, are exempted from appearing in NET, being eligible to apply for Assistant Professor anywhere in India. For SET held from 1st June 2002 onwards, the qualified candidates are eligible to apply for the post of Assistant Professor only in the universities/colleges situated in the state from where they have cleared their SET.
For moreinformation about UGC NET exam, please visit here.
Do you like this story?