Mumbai University started its correspondence education in 1971. It was known as “Directorate of Correspondence Courses.” In 1985 it was up graded as “Directorate of Distance Education” which was further in 1993, upgraded as “Institute of Distance Education” (IDE).
In 2008-09 the “Institute of Distance Education” had been upgraded as “Institute of Distance and Open Learning” (IDOL). Since its inception IDOL has been giving high priority to human resource development by introducing various traditional degree courses as well as technical and professional courses through distance mode.
Distance and Open Learning at University of Mumbai:
The introduction of correspondence courses in the Mumbai University in 1971-72 was primarily for the benefit of students who would have otherwise been deprived of the access to higher education. The annual report of the University of Mumbai for the year 1970-71, submitted by the syndicate to the senate, states as follows "Correspondence Courses”.
General Information about IDOL:
The methodology of instructions at Institute of Distance and Open Learning of the University of Mumbai is different from that of the conventional university/college. The system is more learners oriented and the learner is an active participant in the teaching learning process. IDOL follows the multimedia approach in instruction. It comprises:
- Printed study materials are basically in English and wherever possible in Marathi also. The question-papers in the subject other than languages are printed in English with Marathi version. The students can write their answers in English, Marathi, Hindi or Gujarati ifthey indicate their choice for medium of answering in their examination form, if a student writes his/her answers in any language other than Marathi, Hindi, English and Gujarati, their answers will not assess and the zero marks will be awarded.
- Students will have to collect their study materials from the building of IDOL. However, for the students who are unable to make it, the study materials will be sent through post if he/she makes a written request to the office along with the photo copy of admission form and complete postal address.
- Face to face interaction and counseling with teachers at IDOL by the core faculty is also available for the students at the IDOL building.
B.A in History, Economics, Political Science, Sociology, Psychology, Commerce, Education, Marathi, Hindi and English
B.Com in Accounts Group and Management Group
B.Sc. in Information Technology, Computer Science and Nautical Technology
- M.A in Sociology, History, Economics, Politics, Philosophy and Languages such as - Hindi, Marathi, English, Sanskrit, Urdu, Math and Gujarati and Education
- M.Com in Accounts and Management Group
- M.Sc in Math and Computer Science
Post Graduate Diploma:
Post Graduate Diploma Courses in Management for 2 years
- Post Graduate Diploma in Financial Management (PGDFM)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Operations Research for Management (PGDORM)
System of Examination at IDOL:
Examinations are held each year for all courses. Learners who join in June-August are allowed to appear for the examination in March/April of the following calendar year. Examinations are conducted at various centers in greater Mumbai, Thane, Raigad, Ratnagiri and Sindhudurg districts only.
The examinations are conducted by examination unit of IDE for 1st year and 2nd year B.A/B.Com courses and examination section of the university for 3rd year B.A/B.Com, M.A, M.Sc in Math, M.Com, PGDFM and PGDORM in the month of March-April/May.
Supplementary examinations are also conducted for ex-students of under-graduate and post-graduate courses except PGDFM and PGDORM courses during the month of October/ November.
For more information on college and courses, please click IDOL -University of Mumbai
For frequent updates you can share with your friends,