Geography is a study of earth and its physical features. Geography includes detailed study of climate, soil, vegetation, population, land use and regional differentiation. Physical geography, economic geography and human geography are the major branches of geography. Physical geography deals with natural resources of the earth; flora and fauna and their origins; zone classifications such as tropics, temperate and arctic; climatic features and topography. Economic geography concentrates on those locations where minerals resources are found in a region. Human geography focuses on the spatial pattern of interaction between physical environment and human beings.
Training and Eligibility requirements:
There are many colleges and universities in India offering undergraduate and postgraduate courses in geography. Students should be 10+ 2 pass from a recognized board for applying to courses such as Bachelor of Arts (B.A) in Geography. For M.A in Geography, students should be B.A in Geography from a recognized university. The specialization offered at the master degree and doctorate degree level are Geomatics, Physical geography, Population Studies, Regional geography, Climatology, Oceanography, Economic and Environmental Geography.
Best Educational Institutions for Studying Geography in India:
- Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi
- SNDT Women's University, Mumbai
- M. S. University of Baroda, Baroda
- University of Calcutta, Kolkata
- University of Delhi, New Delhi
- Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi
- University of Rajasthan, Jaipur
- Jamia Millia University, New Delhi
- Amity University, Noida
- Symbiosis Institute of Design, Pune
- Rabindra Bharti University, Kolkata
- Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar
- Centre for Environmental Planning and Technology, Ahmedabad
- Birla Institute of Technology, Ranchi
- Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University, Hyderabad
- Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh
Employment Opportunities for Geographers:
Geographers are employed in government meteorological departments, TV Channels, research institutions and universities as researchers, surveyors, teachers, cartographers, urban and town planners, climatologists, demographers, environment managers, weather reporters and forecasters. The geography graduates can also work in non-governmental organizations for rural development projects, environmental and population studies. The remuneration offered for geography graduates start from Rs 8,000 to Rs 15,000 per month.Recently, geographers have been in demand for Geographical Information System (GIS) technology. So, students with keen interest in landscape and realm of nature should pursue a career in the field of geography.