Psychology is a field of study which deals with the thought process, feelings and behavioral pattern of a human mind. It is quite often utilized to understand the mental health problem of a person and find an appropriate solution for the underlying problem. Growing consumerism and professional competitiveness are largely responsible for increasing frustrations among today’s generation. As a result, the demand for psychologists is steadily growing.
List of Courses:
- Bachelor of Arts Honors in Applied Psychology
- Bachelor of Arts in Applied Psychology
- Bachelor of Arts Honors in Psychology
- Bachelor of Arts in Psychology
- Master of Arts in Applied Psychology
- Master of Arts in Counseling Psychology
- Master of Arts in Psychology
- Master of Philosophy in Applied Psychology
- Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology
- Bachelor of Arts in Journalism, Psychology and English
Students seeking admission in graduate degree course in psychology must have passed higher secondary school (10+2). The duration of this course is 3 years.
Students holding bachelor degree in any stream are eligible for this course. The master degree course duration is 2 years.
Premiere Institutes offering courses in psychology:
- Mysore University
- University of Delhi
- Jamia Millia Islamia,New Delhi
- Sardar Patel University, Gujarat
- Gurunanak Dev University, Amritsar
- University of Calcutta, Kolkata
- Jodhpur University
- Barkhatullah Viswavidyalaya, Bhopal
- Kuruskhetra University, Haryana
Some of its specialized fields are:
- Clinical psychology
- Educational psychology
- Child psychology
- Occupational psychology
- Experimental psychology
- Social psychology
Psychology graduates are employed in hospitals and rehabilitation centers as clinical psychologists. Graduates in psychology are also employed in school, colleges and universities as educational psychologists. In non-governmental organizations, developmental agencies and corporate houses psychology graduates are employed as counseling psychologists. The average remuneration package offered to psychologists is Rs 15,000- 20,000 per month. The salary package of a psychologist increases with work experience.
The scope of the psychology field has certainly expanded with time and the demand for psychologists is increasing at a rapid rate. So, the future for psychology graduates definitely seems quite bright both in India and abroad.
A psychologist's work is tough but has a fair income. Moverover, the income depends upon the qualification, experience, specialization. A psychologist can work in NGOs, colleges and school and can earn upto Rs 8000 – Rs. 10000 every month. In the field of corporate house and industrial sector the income is even higher. A graduate in psychology can opt for teaching jobs in universities, research institutes and in colleges.