The online registration process of the Common Admission Test 2014 (CAT 2014) will start from Wednesday, August 6 and will continue for 56 days till 11.59 pm on Tuesday, September 30, 2014. The registration link will be enabled on August 6 at 10 am, according to the official website. CAT is the entrance test for admission into the Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs) and other premier business schools (B-schools) in India.
In a bid to improve the overall examination experience for the candidates, some major changes have been introduced in the CAT examination from this year, as follows.
- The CAT 2014 will be conducted in two days, consisting of four sessions
- The examination will be conducted in 99 cities comprising 354 test sites
- Candidates will be given the option to select three test cities in the order of preference and hence need not rush to block slots and sites in the initial registration days
- As far as possible, candidates will be given their first preferred city across the four sessions on a random basis. If that is not possible, the second and then the third preferred city will be allotted
- The candidates have no option to select the dates, which will be allotted by the CAT center 2014 on random basis
- The purchase of offline vouchers has been discontinued from this year and the candidates have to make registration fee payment through online modes only - by credit card, debit card or through net-banking
- After submission of application, candidates will be permitted to download their admit cards from Tuesday, October 16, 2014 onwards till their examination date. For example, if the candidate is appearing for the test on Sunday, November 16, 2014, then the candidate can download the admit card only upto November 16 (forenoon or afternoon session) according to the slot
- Duration of the examination has been increased to 170 minutes from the existing limit of 140 minutes
- Questions in each section, Quantitative Ability (QA) and Data Interpretation (DI) as well as Verbal Ability (VA) and Logical Reasoning (LR), have been increased to 50 in each section from the existing 30 questions
- Candidates have the flexibility to devote more or less time to each section according to their ability and they can switch over from one section to another for the duration of the examination
- Tutorial to understand the format of the examination will not be available before the start of the examination. Candidates are advised to do the tutorials from the website well in advance
CAT 2014 will be conducted on Sunday, November 16 and Saturday, November 22, 2014 (forenoon and afternoon sessions on both days). The result is expected to be announced in the third week of December, 2014. IIM Indore will be the convener of CAT 2014.