Gone are the days when students with arts as a subject had very limited career options and those with very less score opted for arts stream. Now arts stream has also emerged with exciting career opportunities such as mass media, journalism, literature, sociology, social service, human psychology, politics, economics and history. If you really have interest in any of these fields then you can opt for Arts stream and make a reputable career.
Most of the colleges offer following subjects in arts:
- Political Science
Remember, while filling the application form, you will have to choose 4 subjects. English and an additional language are compulsory for all. All colleges offer different set of combinations. If a college is not offering your desired combination then apply to another college. You can visit the college and ask for their brochures or you can simply visit the website of colleges to know the subject combinations are offered by different colleges.
Some of the factors to be considered while choosing arts as a subject are as follows:
- Interest: - If you have keen interest in human behavior, language, history or politics then you can opt for arts stream. Infact anyone who has strong inclination towards humanities can take up arts.
- Aptitude and vocational guidance: - Aptitude stands for one’s natural potential which can be further enhanced through training. It’s your aptitude which can take you to great heights and to identify your aptitude you can seek vocational guidance and take an aptitude test. A number of schools now provide aptitude test and vocational guidance to Class IX and X students. If you have an aptitude for writing, languages, social service then Arts can pave the way of success for you.
- Class X marks: - If you aspire to take admission in one of the top arts college then you would require a higher percentage. Most of the arts colleges require 75% in class X board exams. However this fluctuates according to the performance of students of the city.
- Parents’ advice: - As soon as you enter Class X most of the parents start giving their advice on which field to choose. Most of the parents have apprehension that arts stream does not carry much significance in the world and is meant for low scorers but this is a myth. Now the things are gradually changing.
Career options in Arts stream:
Some of the career options available to art graduate students are as follows:
- Market analyst
- Social Worker
- Human Resources
- Personal Executive
- Public Relation Personnel
- Media Personnel
- School Teacher/College Professor