MIT Institute of Design & Avantika University - Admissions Open for Fashion & Design - Apply Now!!


Government BE seats filled by state board students, CBSE students now eye private universities

Published On: 26 Jul 2012 | Last Updated On: 26 Jul 2012

Students from schools affiliated to the Council for the Indian School Certificate (CISCE), Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) and other State Boards constitute only about 2% of the applicants to the Government Colleges offering Bachelor of Engineering (BE) courses in Chennai. The rest 98% comprises of students from Tamil Nadu State Board.

An academician from Chennai informed that top scorers of CBSE are not expecting to get admission in Anna University or its constituent institutes as chances are high for large number of state board students with 100% marks to be given preference. Other board students are aware that their chances of getting admission to these colleges are very less.

CBSE and other Board students are applying for management quota seats in self-financing colleges or Deemed universities, as they accept AIEEE scores and also conduct their own entrance exams. Over 1 lakh students applied for the VIT Engineering Entrance Examination (VITEEE), of which more than 90% students were from CBSE schools.

A senior official from VIT informed that the CBSE students are aware that they cannot compete with state board students for admission to government colleges, and instead are applying to other private universities. He further added that the VITEEE is similar to the IIT-JEE pattern and CBSE students score better than the state board students in such exams.

Education experts have observed that many institutes give an edge to the CBSE and ICSE students who are at a loss due to the normalization process. Institutions have also noticed that these students are able to grasp the concepts better and faster and hence perform better during the course.

The CBSE and ICSE students also perform better during the placement process and to retain such talented students, they are given extra points during admissions.

Source: Times of India

For Frequent updates you can share with your friends,

Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter and Google+

Do you like this story?
You might also read
comments powered by Disqus
subscribe to our Newsletter