Bengal Engineering and Science University (BESU), Shibpur was established in 1856 as Civil Engineering College, was affiliated to the Calcutta University in 1857. From 1865 to 1879 the College functioned as Civil Engineering Department of Presidency College and in 1880 the college shifted to its new and permanent home the lush green campus at Bishop's College, Howrah. In 1921, it is renamed to Bengal Engineering College. In 1992 the college acquired the Deemed University status and in 2004 the institution is elevated to its present status of a University.
In order to enhance the level of intellectual productivity and efficacy, the University has established a Research and Consultancy Cell (RACC) of which the principal objective is to facilitate on behalf of the university, coordination in administration, managerial, liaison, monitoring etc. of sponsored research and consultancy work within the ambit of the administrative framework of the University.
Campus of Bengal Engineering and Science University -
The University has a beautiful green campus covering an area of nearly 49 hectares on the western bank of the river Hooghly (a section of the river Ganges).
Facilities at Bengal Engineering and Science University -
- Class Rooms
- Work Shop
- Health Facility
Schools at Bengal Engineering and Science University -
- Purabi Das School of Information Technology
- School of Materials Science & Engineering
- School of Management Sciences
- School of Community Science and Technology
- School of Disaster Mitigation Engineering
- School of Ecology, Infrastructure & Human Settlement Management
- School of Mechatronics & Robotics
|Name||:||Bengal Engineering and Science University, Shibpur|
|Location||:||P.O: Botanic Garden