Bharathidasan University (BDU), Tiruchirappalli was established in 1982. It is a recognized university, supported by the University Grants Commission of India. The motto of the University is "we will create a brave new world" has been framed from Bharathidasan's poetic words. The University endeavors to be true to such a vision by creating in the region a brave new world of academic innovation for social change. The university is accredited by NAAC with ‘A’ Grade.
It has affiliated colleges in districts of the state, including Nagapattinam, Perambalur, Pudukkottai, Thanjavur, Tiruvarur and Tiruchirapalli. The University has totally 4 Faculties, 17 Schools, 35 Departments and 10 Specialized Research Centres. There are 230 faculty members catering to 2372 students and scholars in the University. The University Departments/Schools are offering 177 programs including 40 PG programs in M.A., M.Sc. and M.Tech. All the UG and PG programmes are conducted under non-semester system and MCA and MBA programs are conducted under semester system along with the regular programs.
Campuses of Bharathidasan University -
Bharathidasan University has three campuses:
- Palkalaiperur Campus - is located in a sprawling area of over 500 acres of land on the Tiruchirappalli-Pudukkottai highway.
- Khajamalai Campus - It is the city campus with several departments.
- BIM Campus - is located in the Campus of Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL) at Tiruverumbur on the Tiruchirappalli-Thanjavur highway.
Facilities at Bharathidasan University -
- Central Workshop
- Guest House
- Post Office
- Communication Facility
- Healthcare Center
Faculties at Bharathidasan University -
- Faculty of Arts
- Faculty of Indian and Other Languages
- Faculty of Science, Engineering and Technology
- Faculty of Management
- Centre for Distance Education