Cotton College, Guwahati was established in 1901, through the untiring efforts of Late Manik Chandra Barooah and Rai Bahadur Bhuban Ram Das, backed by the unstinted support of the intelligentsia of the region of that time. The college was first affiliated to Calcutta University, Kolkata. It was under this university itself that the institution developed into a full-fledged degree college and barring Persian, secured affiliation for the honours course too in all the subjects taught then.
Although post-graduate classes in certain subjects like English, Economics and Botany were introduced in the college at different points of time under Calcutta University itself, such classes had to be finally discontinued as part of economy drive and also because of the establishment of Gauhati University. It was only in 1969 that the Assam state government decided to introduce PG classes in Physics in the college on a permanent affiliation basis.
Today, PG teaching is done in the college in as many as 21 departments. Now, the college, which began with 39 students and 5 teachers only, currently has a student enrolment of more than 5000 right from Higher Secondary to the PG classes and faculty strength of 235. In 2003, an 'Internal Quality Assurance Cell' has also been established to look after the internal quality of the institution.
Facilities at Cotton College -
- Guest House
- Indoor Stadium
- Career Counseling Cell
Departments at Cotton College -
- Department of Anthropology
- Department of Assamese
- Department of Bengali
- Department of Biotechnology
- Department of Bodo
- Department of Botany
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Computer Science and IT
- Department of Economics
- Department of Education
- Department of English
|Name||:||Cotton College, Guwahati|
|Contact No||:||0361 - 2540715|