Faculty of Education, University of Auckland was established in 1883, as Auckland University College as a part of the University of New Zealand. A disused courthouse and jail served as premises for the 95 students and 4 teaching staff. The roll increased slowly but steadily during the remainder of the 19th century; by 1901 it had risen to 156 students. Most students were enrolled part-time, training as teachers or law clerks, although after 1905 the number of commerce students rose markedly.
During this time, the University focused on teaching: research was not expected, and was rarely performed by teaching staff. Nevertheless, some students carried out impressive early research, most notably in chemistry.
Campus of Faculty of Education, University of Auckland –
- City Campus: City Campus is located in the heart of Auckland, the campus is accessible to the cultural and commercial amenities of the country's largest city, while harbor views and nearby parks adds to its attractiveness.
- Tamaki Innovation Campus: Established in 1991, Tamaki Innovation Campus occupies a 32-hectare site in Glen Innes, with facilities including a library and health services. The campus is located 20 minutes' drive from the City Campus.
- Epsom Campus: Epsom Campus is located at 74 Epsom Avenue. The campus is less than 10 minutes' drive from the CBD and City Campus and offers full amenities.
- Grafton Campus: Grafton Campus is situated opposite to Auckland Hospital on the boundary of Auckland Domain. It was established in 1968 in Park Road as The School of Medicine, it became the Grafton Campus in 1995 and now houses facilities such as a cafe, health services, and the Philson Library.
Facilities at Faculty of Education, University of Auckland –
- Car parking
- Disability Services
Departments and Schools at Faculty of Education, University of Auckland –
- School of Counselling, Human Services and Social Work
- School of Curriculum and Pedagogy
- School of Maori Education
- School of Learning, Development and Professional Practice