Interested in MBA/Engineering/Other Courses
Please fill in your details below and we will get in touch with you shortly.
Why Register in Minglebox?
- Browse colleges for admission related information
- Browse course details offered by the colleges
- Get to know about latest happenings in educational sector
- Access to free mock up test for various entrance exam
Lady Willingdon Institute of Advanced Study in Education, Chennai was established in 1922. During the later part of 19th century, there was a Hindu School for Girls at Ice House, the first of their kind in Chennai which was managed by the Vijayarangam Trust. It was then taken over by the Government of Madras Presidency. This Hindu School was upgraded into a Training Institution meant for training Elementary and Secondary Grade Women teachers in the year 1913. In the year 1922, the Training Institute was renamed as Lady Willingdon Training School after the name of the wife of the then Governor of Madras Presidency. In the same year, the Lady Willingdon Training College was established to fulfill the long felt need for training women graduates as teachers for the High Schools. In 1940, after 18 years of struggle amidst inadequate accommodation and equipments, the college moved to its present site with spacious building and gardens. The present college was meticulously planned and completed in 1945.
The Lady Willingdon Higher Secondary School and the District Institute of Educational Training, which was under the administrative control of the principal, were transferred to the Directorate of School Education from 1-4-1988. The Lady Willingdon college of Education was upgraded and renamed as Lady Willingdon Institute of Advanced Study in Education in 1991 as a follow up measure under the New Education Policy which aims at greater thrust for teacher education, especially for imparting service training programs for the working teachers.
- To develop the total personality of the teacher trainees, to meet the challenges in the field of education
- To enable the teacher trainees to become creative and innovative in pedagogy
- To equip the trainees in communication skills to become interested in life long learning.
- To become aware of concepts in educational psychology to deal effectively with behavioral problem of the learners
- To implement the knowledge of psychological principles and theories in the teaching learning process
- To inculcate commitment to national development
- To function efficiently as a role model to impart values.
- Computer Labs
- Sports and Games
|Name||:||Lady Willingdon Institute of Advanced Study in Education|