Lakehead University was established in 1946 as in the name of Lakehead Technical Institute (LTI). From LTI, Lakehead became the Lakehead College of Arts, Science and Technology in 1956. The Lakehead University Act was given Royal Assent by the Lieutenant Governor of Ontario in 1965, and Lakehead University was established. The first degrees granted by Lakehead University were in Arts and Science in 1965.
The university offers 7,768 including 6,453 full-time graduate and undergraduate students. Lakehead University, as a comprehensive university, is committed to excellence and innovation in undergraduate and graduate teaching, service, research and other scholarly activity.
Lakehead University is committed to educating students who will be recognized for leadership and independent critical thinking and who are aware of social and environmental responsibilities. The vision of the university is to be a respected, mid-sized university offering a range of programs at the undergraduate and graduate levels.
Campus of Lakehead University-
The Lakehead University is located at the head of Lake Superior. It has two campuses Thunder Bay and Orillia.
- Thunder Bay campus: Nestled under the shadow of the stoic Sleeping Giant, their Thunder Bay campus is among the most picturesque in the nation. Fieldwork and hands-on learning are integral to a high number of their programs, taking advantage of the vibrant, natural laboratories right in their backyard.
- Orillia Campus: Lakehead University's Orillia campus is surrounded by one of Central Ontario's most beautiful cottage country areas. The City of Orillia is positioned on the shores of Lake Couchiching and Lake Simcoe and offers year-round opportunities for recreation, culture and heritage.
Why Choose Lakehead University?
- It is rated as Canada’s Value-Added University.
- The university graduates are quickly employed.
- They have smaller class sizes.
- The university provides world-class facilities.
- It has a co-operative education program.
- The university students can enjoy a natural learning environment.
Facilities at Lakehead University –
- Internet facilities
Faculties at Lakehead University –
- Faculty of Business Administration
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Engineering
- Faculty of Natural Resources Management
- Faculty of Graduate Studies
- Faculty of Health and Behavioral Sciences
- Faculty of Medical School
- Faculty of Science and Environmental Studies
- Faculty of Social Sciences and Humanities
Student support services at Lakehead University -
At Lakehead University the students are provided many support services which include financial assistance, Visa services, Health and counseling center, student clubs, academic student society’s and accommodation etc.