Massey University was established in 1927 as a small agricultural college in Palmerston North. Under its first principal, Sir Geoffrey Peren, it widened its range and enhanced its reputation. In 1964, Massey became a full university. In the last 40 years, it has continued growing to become New Zealand's largest residential university, spread over three cities. From 85 students in the first year, Massey now has over 35,000 internal and extramural students.
Massey University now has three campuses in the North Island and the highest number of extramural students. Massey offers the only veterinary science programs in New Zealand. Massey also offers the only Bachelor of Aviation degree in New Zealand. Massey University qualifications are recognized worldwide and several programs have international accreditation.
Campus of Massey University –
- Albany Campus: Albany campus is located in Auckland's North Shore. The campus gives students access to their long history of expertise in research and teaching, while enjoying state-of-the-art academic and recreational facilities.
Manawatu Campus: The Manawatu campus has two sites:
- Turitea - Renowned for its beautiful park-like setting of huge trees and attractive gardens.
- Hokowhitu - On the city side of the Manawatu River, near the lagoon.
- Wellington campus: Wellington campus is known as the creative campus which is in the heart of Wellington. Over the past few years the campus has established itself as a centre of excellence for study and research.
Why Choose Massey University?
- The University has groundbreaking research.
- They contribute to land-based industries.
- They have a distinctive mix of campus-based, distance and international teaching.
- They commit for innovation.
- They have close links with the community.
- The University has an 80-year tradition of academic excellence.
Facilities at Massey University –
- Computer Labs
- Wireless Networks
- Disability services
- Transport and Parking
Colleges at Massey University –
- College of Business
- College of Creative Arts
- College of Education
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences
- College of Sciences
Scholarships at Massey University –
The Massey University High Achiever Scholarships were established to support new students enrolling at Massey University with a previous record of high achievement in the areas of: Academic, Arts and Sport. The master and doctoral Scholarships are offered for the purpose of encouraging postgraduate research at Massey University and are awarded on academic ranking.
Student Life at Massey University –
Each year, about 30,000 students from over 80 countries choose Massey University to help them realize their ambitions and achieve their true potential. Their students move on to successful futures and careers in New Zealand and internationally. Massey provides an extensive range of student-centered facilities and services on all campuses and ensures an active, enriching campus life beyond the academic experience.
Student Services at Massey University –
The University understands the challenges of student life and provides services to help the students achieve their academic and personal goals. The students make the most use of time at Massey University and take advantage of all the services and resources available to them. These services are funded in part by the student services levy.
Career Services at Massey University –
The Massey University career and employment service strives to enhance the employability of the university's students and recent graduates by enabling them to make informed and independent career decisions; to develop skills that can be transferred into their chosen career and to facilitate their transitions from study to work.
They recognize the diversity of Massey students, graduates and are committed in addressing their individual needs regardless of race, religion, gender, disability, marital status, social class or age preference.