Namrup College, Dibrugarh one of the premier institutions of higher education in the eastern most part of Assam. The college was established in 1973 to cater to the needs of higher education of the entire industrial township as well the neighboring tea gardens and village. The college endeavors to create congenial educational environment and encourages the students for quality improvement, handwork, social awareness and protection of environment.
The College was started with the faculties of Arts and Science. It was affiliated to Dibrugarh University in September 1979. The Arts stream came under Deficit Grants-in-aid system in 1986; and the science stream came under the same in 1992. After a prolonged struggle, it qualified itself for inclusion under section 2(f) of the UGC Act, 1956 on 14th Feb, 1997 and section 12(B) of the same Act on 4th April, 2000.
The college is located near the industrial township of Namrup which has four industrial establishments, viz. Brahmaputra Valley Fertilizer Corporation Limited, Assam Petrochemicals Ltd, Namrup Thermal Power Station and the Jeypore Colliery. This township is surrounded by a large number of tea gardens and villages. The college is situated at a distance of seventy kilometers from Dibrugarh Airport, three kilometers from Namrup Railway Station and two and half kilometers from the public and ASTC Bus Station.