New College Durham was established in 1977 from the merger of Neville’s Cross College, which specialized in teacher education and Durham Technical College, which had its origins as a college of mining. Neville’s Cross College opened in 1921 by Durham County Council and provided teacher education for women only until 1963, when the first male students were admitted. The college offered a range of courses in education up to degree level. Throughout this early part of its history, Neville’s Cross College maintained close links with the University of Durham.
Durham Technical College opened in 1957. The college was intended to provide education and training to support the mining industry, initially with other courses in engineering and construction. A wider range of courses soon followed, responding to the needs of business and the wider community.
Campus of New College Durham –
The campus is located in Durham. Their modern and inspiring campus is complemented by the most up to date learning materials, IT facilities and resources.
Facilities at New College Durham –
- Learning Resource Centre
- Conference Hall
- Beauty Salon
Apprenticeships at New College Durham –
An Apprenticeship combines hands-on training at work with studying at College, allowing students to learn on the job while gaining knowledge, skills, nationally recognised qualifications and earning money - all at the same time!