Periyar University (PU), Salem was established in 1997. The university has been accredited with NAAC and recognized by UGC. The university is named after a renowned social reformer popularly called "Thanthai Periyar". The University got the 12(B) and 2f status from the University Grants Commission and has been reaccredited by NAAC with ‘A’ grade in 2015.
The mission of the university is to spread knowledge and skill in general and the thrust is particularly given to enable the knowledge reach the youth of economically, educationally and socially weaker sections. This mission is achieved through the departments of study and research of the university and its affiliated colleges.In the direction of nation building process, this university aims to uplift the society through education to attain self-reliance.
Campus of Periyar University –
The university is situated on the Bangalore National Highways (NH - 47), 10kms from the Salem city and easily connected by road. The University campus extends to about 100 acres accommodating the administrative and department buildings.
Facilities at Periyar University -
- Audio Visual Centre
Schools at Periyar University -
- School of Biosciences
- School of Mathematics
- School of Business Studies
- School of Physical Sciences
- School of Languages
- School of Professional Studies
- School of Social Sciences
- School of Life Sciences
Constituent Colleges at Periyar University -
- Periyar University Arts and Science College, Mettur Dam
- Periyar University Arts and Science College, Pennagaram
- Periyar University College of Arts & Science, Harur Dharamapuri
- Periyar University College of Arts & Science, Pappiredipatty
- Periyar University College of Arts & Science, Iddapadi
|Location||:||Periyar Palkalai Nagar
|Contact No||:||0427-2345766, 2345520|