Presidency College, Chennai was established in 1840 as preparatory school. It was established by Thiru Cooper and his staff, which eventually grew into Presidency College. In 1857 marks the beginning of the third epoch in the history of the college. The College was granted autonomy in 1987. It has since been possible for the College to attempt limited curricular and examination reforms to make education meaningful and up-to-date. The college was accredited with four stars by tha National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC). In 2005, the NAAC reaccredited the college and awarded the grade "A".
From 1857 onwards, the college has been providing instruction in the courses prescribed by the University of Madras. As a premier institution of higher studies under the Government of Tamil Nadu, Presidency College, offers 20 PG Courses and 18 UG Courses through 24 departments almost all of them offering research facilities leading to M.Phil, and Ph.D. degrees.
Why Choose Presidency College?
- The college provide quality sustained essential higher education at all times adapting to changing environment for a meaningful and self-supporting life to the economically poor and socially under-privileged sections of the society.
- They provide value based education to inculcate a sense of responsibility, patriotism, social awareness and to become a good citizen of the country.
- They also provide technical skills and knowledge and to meet the challenges and competencies among students.
- The college helps in identify the potentialities and encourage active and quality research useful for the development of the society and the nation.
Facilities at Presidency College -
- Cooperative store
- Health Care
Departments at Presidency College -
- Department of Arts & Commerce
- Department of Computer Science
- Department of Science
- Department of Languages
Placement Cell at Presidency College -
A placement cell is functioning in this college. The cell possesses regularly updated data-base of graduates and post graduates of all disciplines of this college and provides information for the employers as and when they require. It helps the employers to conduct campus interviews and selection tests to choose candidate of their choice. It also counsels the students regarding the opportunities and selection procedures.
Scholarships at Presidency College -
A certain number of Scholarships tenable for B.A, B.Sc, B.Com, M.A, M.Com, MCA classes are awarded by the college council on grounds of merit to the students who are in need of financial help.
|Name||:||Presidency College, Chennai|