St. Joseph's College (SJC), Bangalore was established in 1882 by the Fathers of the French Foreign Mission. The need for instituting a college of this magnitude in Bangalore was felt by the catholic Missionaries and it was the vicar apostolic of the coramandel coast, the Rev. Dr. Bonnand, who propounded the idea, in 1841, in a letter to Rev. Fr. Bertrand. Complying with the order, the Foreign Missions Society of Paris bought a plot of land on St. John's Hill and gradually made the transition to the location it occupies today.
The college is one of the oldest colleges in Karnataka with a history of more than 130 years behind it. It imparts graduate, post-graduate and research education while searching, renewing and expanding itself, attempting to be ever relevant to the changing situations of the times. The college believes in the Jesuit and constitutional ideal of contributing towards a society of equality, fraternity and liberty through an admission policy of preferential option for the poor.
Why Choose St. Joseph's College?
- The college to provide quality education to as many young men and women from all of sections of society, it proactively extends support to students who lack opportunities.
- The college provides students with plentiful opportunities to critically understand society and its structures so that education becomes a tool to work for a human and just society.
- Stress is laid on academic excellence, character formation, social concern and human development.
- The college is autonomous and places very high value on academics.
- Class Rooms
- Sports and Games
- Faculty of Science
- Faculty of Humanities
- Faculty of Languages
Placement Cell –
The college believes that establishing links between education and labor market is an important motivator for undergraduate and post graduate students pursuing their education. Establishing linkages between industry and institute also help faculty in incorporating the application dimension to their basic courses. The centre for skill development and placement, St Joseph’s College (Autonomous), a student run activity under the guidance of the faculty coordinator, has the following objectives:
- Information Dissemination
- Career Guidance: Personality Assessment and Competency Mapping
- Training for Skill Development
- Placement Interviews
|Name||:||St. Joseph's College (SJC), Bangalore|
36 Lalbagh Road
|Contact No||:||080 - 22274079|