The University of Auckland, City Campus was established in 1883 as Auckland University College which is a part of the University of New Zealand. A disused courthouse and jail served as premises for the 95 students and 4 teaching staff. The roll increased slowly but steadily during the remainder of the 19th century; by 1901 it had risen to 156 students.
The University received a further intellectual stimulus in 1934 when four new professors arrived; all led the way in establishing Auckland University College as an internationally respected research institution. In 1962, the abolition of the University of New Zealand saw the University finally become independent.
In 1986, the University of Auckland began to offer courses at Northland Polytechnic, Manukau Polytechnic and at the Auckland College of Education. The University has continued to improve its facilities, with a new information and student commons complex already complete on the City Campus.
For over 100 years, the University has had a presence on what is now the City Campus. Located in the heart of Auckland, the campus is accessible to the cultural and commercial amenities of the country's largest city, while harbour views and nearby parks adds to its attractiveness. The City Campus provides a full range of amenities, including cafés, health services, libraries, childcare facilities, and a recreation centre.
Why choose University of Auckland?
- New Zealand’s leading university
- Great teaching, learning and research
- Specialized support for international students
- International network of alumni
- Range of programs and courses
- World-class facilities
- Career planning and further study
- A study and lifestyle destination
- Class rooms
- Recreation Facilities
- Financial Aid
- Sports Facilities
- Child Care Centre
- Health Services
- Faculty of Arts
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Engineering
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Medical and Health Sciences
- Faculty of Science