University of Sheffield was established in 1828 as Sheffield Medical School and the Sheffield Technical School (1884). These three institutions came together in 1897 to form the University College of Sheffield, which in turn became the University of Sheffield in 1905. It is a leading research university located in Sheffield. The University of Sheffield has been named UK University of the Year in the 2011 Times Higher Education Awards. They have nearly 25,000 students from 128 countries, and over 5,500 staff. The University is one of the most active centers for historical research in the UK.
The University of Sheffield is a popular choice with applicants for university places and once they arrive their students enjoy the experience so much that many settle in Sheffield after they graduate. The University academic partners include leading universities around the world. International partnerships include Worldwide Universities Network (USA, Europe and China) and their partnership with Leeds and York Universities (the White Rose Consortium) has combined research power greater than that of either Oxford or Cambridge.
Campus of University of Sheffield –
Sheffield is located in South Yorkshire, in the north of England. It is close to Leeds, Manchester, Nottingham and the Peak District. It has over 200 parks and woodlands and a third of the city is in the Peak District National Park. Crime statistics show it is also one of the UK's safest major cities. Sheffield has excellent rail links to all major cities. The city centre is within easy walking distance of the University campus and accommodation.
Why Choose University of Sheffield?
- The University is rated 66th in world in the 2012 QS World University Rankings, up from 72nd in 2011.
- The University is ranked 13th in the UK, 38th in Europe and 110th in the world according to the 2012-13 Times Higher Education World University Rankings.
- The University of Sheffield was named UK University of the Year 2011 in the Times Higher Education Awards.
- They have over 25,000 students from 125 countries and over 5,500 staff.
Facilities at University of Sheffield –
- Computing Services
- Sports Centre
Faculties at University of Sheffield –
- Faculty of Arts and Humanities
- Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health
- Faculty of Engineering
- Faculty of Science
- Faculty of Social Sciences