Industrial and Production engineering is the branch of engineering which deals with the study to develop, improve, implement and evaluate the integrated systems of people, money, knowledge, information, equipment, energy, material and as a whole the industrial process. The role of an Industrial or Production Engineer is to plan, measure and control all activities within the organization, besides designing the production process for a product. Industrial Engineering can also be termed as Operations management, Production Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering or Manufacturing Systems Engineering depending on the viewpoint or motives of the user. Industrial Engineers are in great demand owing to the fact that several industries are being set up in India as a result of a flourishing economy. An Industrial Engineer is expected to be creative, analytical and possess the ability to work in a team and communicate well with others.
List of Courses:
- Certificate Courses in Industrial and Production Engineering
- Diploma in Industrial & Production Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering in Industrial & Production Engineering
- Bachelor of Technology in Production & Industrial Engineering
- Master of Engineering in Industrial & Production Engineering
- Master of Technology in Production & Industrial Engineering
- Master of Technology in Production Technology
- Post Graduate Diploma in Industrial Safety
Courses & Eligibility :
The various courses offered under Industrial Engineering are:
- B.E. Industrial and Production Engineering.
- B.E. Industrial Engineering.
- B.Tech. Industrial and Production Engineering.
- B.Tech. Industrial Engineering and Management.
- M.E. Industrial Engineering.
- M.E. Industrial Materials and Metallurgy.
- M.E. Industrial Safety Engineering.
- M.E. Quality Engineering and Management.
- M.Tech. Computer Integrated Manufacturing.
- M.Tech. Industrial and Management Engineering.
- M.Tech. Industrial Automation and Robotics.
- M.Tech. Industrial Engineering.
- M.Tech. Industrial Pollution Control Engineering.
- Ph.D. Industrial and Production Engineering.
The eligibility criterion for admissions in a Bachelor’s programme is 10+2 in Science stream with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics as core subjects. The 2 year M.tech course can be pursued after successfully completing an Undergraduate course. Students are subjected to go through entrance exams like GATE for admissions in B.Tech & M.Tech courses. One can also opt for a doctorate degree(PhD) under the guidance a professor/lecturer.
Some of its specialized fields are:
- Network Models
- Computer Science
- Value Engineering
- Operations Research
- Financial Management
- Materials Management
- Statistical Quality Control
- Operations and Maintenance
- Production Planning and Control
Opportunities for an Industrial Engineer exist in public and private sectors as business systems analyst and business process engineer. One can also be employed as a quality control manager, health and safety manager, human resource manager, logistics manager or facilities engineer, project manager, plant supervisor, scheduling and planning manager, operations manager, management consultant etc.
Most of the opportunities are in the private sector. There's a lot of scope for Industrial Engineering graduates in Railways, Armed Forces and in other Government departments as well as in most PSUs. Highly qualified individuals with adequate managerial expertise can acquire top positions in this field with attractive remuneration and incentives.
Some job titles:
- Plant Engineer
- Process Engineers
- Quality Engineers
- Industrial Managers
- Operations Analyst
- Management Engineer
- Manufacturing Engineer
- Quality Control Technician
In the government sector the basic salary of a fresher may range in between Rs.10000 to Rs.15000 per month. Engineers working in private sectors, with an additional Management degree in their backpack, can earn up to Rs 40,000 per month.
For Frequent updates you can share with your friends,