Textile engineering is an area of study which involves the application of methodical and engineering values into the design and control of textile industry. The main principle of this engineering is to design and control all aspects of fiber, textile and apparel processes, products, and machinery. The course curriculum also draws knowledge from other engineering disciplines including mechanical, electrical and industrial and chemical engineering. The industry has categorized in three major areas of work namely research and development, manufacturing and merchandising. As the Indian textile industry is growing rapidly, the job prospects in this sector is huge for qualified engineers.
- Diploma in Textile Technology / Textile Engineering
- Diploma in Fabrication Technology & Erection Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering in Textile Technology
- Bachelor of Technology in Carpet & Textile Technology
- Bachelor of Technology in Man Made Fiber Technology
- Bachelor of Technology in Textile Technology
- Bachelor of Technology Textile Chemistry
- Master of Technology in Textile Chemistry
- Master of Engineering in Textile Engineering
- Master of Technology in Textile Technology
Courses and eligibility:
The eligibility criteria for admissions in a Bachelor's programme is 10+2 in science stream with physics, chemistry and mathematics as core subjects. The 2 year M.tech course can be pursued after successfully completing an undergraduate course. Students are subjected to go through entrance exams like GATE for admissions in B.Tech & M.Tech courses. One can also pursue a Ph.D course after completing M.Tech. The subjects covered under B.Tech programmes are Yarn Manufacturing, Fabric Manufacturing, Wet Processing, Apparel Manufacturing, Textile Management etc..
- Technical Textiles
- Knitting and Knit CAD
- Weaving and Weave CAD
- Colouration Technology
- Yarn and Non-woven Technology
- Textile Materials and Performance Evaluation
Textile engineering graduates find excellent job opportunities in diverse industrial sectors. Their career path includes process engineering, research and development, production control, technical sales, quality control and corporate management through the production supervisory route. They can be employed in hand loom as well as mechanized sectors in India. One can find jobs in industrial engineering, product development, marketing, technical sales etc. Graduates are recruited in large numbers by textile giants like Arvind Mills Ltd., Bombay Dying, Fabindia, Grasim Industries, JCT Limited, Lakshmi Machine Works, Lakshmi Mills ,Mysore Silk Factory etc. There are good opportunities abroad for carrying out research work in this field.
- Process Engineer
- Operations Trainee
- Technical Salesperson
- Development Engineers
- Medical Textiles Engineer
- Quality Control Supervisor
- Technical Services / Sales Manager
The starting salary of a textile engineer in public sectors ranges from Rs.9000 to Rs.12 000 per month. In the private sector, the starting remuneration can be in the range of Rs.10000 to Rs.15000 per month. Experienced candidates can earn even more.
For Frequent updates you can share with your friends,