Engineering is a popular course in India taken up by a majority of Class 12 graduates. With lucrative career opportunities and a vast, growing requirement for skilled engineers, more students every year opt for the engineering field. An array of institutes across the country has been set up to meet this demand. Each of these colleges in turn offers a variety of specialized fields of engineering. An aspiring engineering graduate must choose a field of engineering carefully, in alignment with his/her abilities and interests. Choosing a branch will also affect future career opportunities and can differentiate a student from the crowd.
The following is a list of popular engineering courses students can choose from:
- Civil engineering is the division of engineering, which is concerned with the building, designing, planning and maintenance of material and naturally built surroundings. It is one of the oldest engineering subjects and is the largest field of engineering. A candidate who specializes in this field is known as a civil engineer. Civil engineering comprises of the designing and building of industrial plant buildings, transmission towers/lines, water works, river navigation systems, airport runways, skyscrapers, power plants, irrigation canals, traffic control systems, dams, shipping canals, bridges, rail-roads, sewers and highways. A civil engineer requires not only a high standard of engineering knowledge, but also supervisory and administrative skills. Civil engineers work in teams or in coordination with many other engineers.
- Electrical Engineering is a broad discipline of engineering that deals with the study and application of electricity, electronics and electromagnetism. It incorporates the study of sub-topics such as power, electronics, control systems, signal processing and telecommunications. Alternatively, it can be said that electrical engineering is concerned with using, distributing and generating electrical power as well as applying the same in the field of communication, control systems, electronic computing, industrial electronics and instrumentation. Electrical engineers perform research, develop, design, test and oversee the progress of electronic systems and the production of electrical and electronics equipment and devices. Many electrical and electronics engineers are also employed in areas closely related to computers.
- Electronics and Communication Engineering deals with electronic devices and software interfaces. It has a wide range of applications that help make our life comfortable and more convenient. The field of Electronics and Communication Engineering helps to increase productivity in various industries such as oil, energy, agriculture, and telecommunication media including television, radio and computers. This field of engineering is also applied to many other important sectors such as steel, petroleum and chemical industries; healthcare industry; and transportation industry.
- Engineers in this field are trained to direct, control and test production processes; and also to ensure safety, installation and proper functioning of various machineries. Electronics and Communication Engineering will integrate knowledge in the fields of digital electronics and logic design, fundamentals of communication engineering, electronic circuits, signals and systems, power electronics, applied electromagnetic theory, integrated circuits, VLSI, control systems and computer architecture.
- Computer Science Engineering is a division of engineering which involves the principles and techniques of both computer science and electronics engineering. It includes the testing and designing of computer components. It is also known as electronics & computer engineering or computer systems engineering. Professionals who work with computer hardware and software are known as computer engineers. There are 2 types of computer engineers. An individual who works to develop and create new computer programs is known as a computer software engineer. A professional who works with physical computer equipment and parts is known as a computer hardware engineer. Computer engineers apply their knowledge of mathematics and science for the design and development of computers.
- Mechanical engineering is a main engineering discipline that involves the application of the laws of physics for designing, analyzing and manufacturing of mechanical systems. Mechanical engineers design and assemble engines and power plants, structures and vehicles of all sizes. Mechanical engineers must have a solid understanding of base concepts such as mechanics, kinematics, fluid mechanics and energy. Mechanical engineers utilize the core principles of engineering to design and examine motor vehicles, watercraft, aircraft, heating and cooling systems, robotics, industrial equipment and machinery, medical devices and more. Mechanical engineering offers a solid base for professional engineering practice, and further study in mechanical engineering or many other related fields.
For details on other branches of engineering, click here.
Choosing which branch of engineering to major in during your undergraduate years can affect your future career. Therefore, it is best to spend some time deciding, which branch you would like to take up. Reviewing your interests and aptitude in various engineering fields will help you decide which field to ultimately take up. School grades are also an indicator of your aptitude in engineering. A variety of fields from bio-medical engineering to aeronautical engineering ensure students have plenty of choice. Some fields have better career prospects than others, but at the same time will be more competitive. Therefore a student’s final choice must take into consideration future prospects as well as interest.
For frequent updates you can share with your friends,