As students finish their Class 12 exams, they enter a phase of preparation for their higher education. Entrance exams are written for various courses and universities over the country. Engineering, being a popular course among students has numerous entrance exams for different universities. The following is a list of some important entrance exams, students must consider writing.
- Joint entrance examinations (JEE): A joint entrance examination (JEE) isstated to be one of the toughest exams for engineering entrance in India. The Joint Entrance Examination is being held from this year for admission to the undergraduate programs in Engineering in two parts, JEE-Main and JEE-Advanced. Only the top 1, 50,000 candidates (including all categories) based on performance in JEE Main will qualify to appear in the JEE Advanced examination. Admissions to IITs will be based only on category-wise All India Rank (AIR) in JEE advanced, subject to condition that such candidates are in the top 20 percentile categories. The Joint Entrance Exam has been scheduled to be held for the first time in 2013. The JEE, which used to be a qualifying exam for admissions to the IITs will now be used to confer admissions to a host of other central engineering institutes in addition to the IITs. It will be one of the toughest engineering entrance exams held and consists of the JE-main and the JEE-Advanced. Of all candidates writing the JEE-Main only 1, 50,000 top candidates will be selected to write the JEE-Advanced. Admissions to the IITs will be based on an All India Rank prepared from the Results of the IIT-Advanced. In addition, to qualify for admission to the IITs individuals must be in the top 20% of all students from their respective boards. The NITs and other Centrally Funded Technical Institutions (CFTIs), as well as other participating Institutions, will base their admissions based on an All India Ranking (AIR) system. The AIR will be based on marks in Class 12 (40%) as well as performance in the JEE-Mains (60%). States opting to offer admissions to engineering colleges affiliated to state universities, based on the JEE have the option of requesting a separate merit list, based on a weightage system as recommended by the state. Further the JEE can be conducted in the regional language of astate, if requested by the state.
- BITSAT: The Birla Institute of Technology and Science Admission Test (BITSAT)is a computer based online test. The BITSAT entrance exam is conducted for admission into the Integrated First Degree courses of BITS Pilani, BITS Hyderabad and BITS Goa campuses of the deemed university. Birla Institute of Technology & Science (BITS), Pilani is a leading Institute of Higher Education and a deemed University under section 3 of the UGC act. It offers degree programs in Engineering, Sciences, Technology, Pharmacy, Management and Humanities. The university honors it own degrees. BITS Pilani, is well renowned, and has been recognized for its excellence in engineering research and education.
- VITEEE: VIT University(formerly Vellore Institute of Technology) conducts the VITEEEfor admission to B.Tech. and degree programs. VIT was the first educational institution in India to get international accreditations for its programs. Based on the performance in VITEEE entrance exam candidates will be admitted to the 1st year of engineering degree programs. Completion of a degree program will see a student being awarded a B. Tech or BE degree.
- COMEDK: Comedk (Consortium of Medical, Engineering and Dental Colleges of Karnataka) is a common entrance test conducted by the Karnataka Private Medical and Dental Colleges Association every year for admissions into Medical, Engineering and Dental courses through different entry levels such as Comedk- PGET and Comedk- UGET.
- COMEDK- UGET:This exam is conducted for admissions to under graduate level courses.
- COMEDK- PGET:This exam is conducted for admissions to post graduate level courses.
The Comedk was formed to offer an effective, fair and objective testing procedure for admissions based on merit, to member institutes. Comedk follows the Single window system (centralized counseling) to conduct the entrance test and to publish test scores and a rank list. Eligible candidates will compete fairly for seats in engineering through the Comedk.
- MHT-CET: Maharashtra Common Entrance Test (MT-CET)is a premier engineering entrance exam which is conducted by the Government of Maharashtra every year. Maharashtra Common Entrance Test (MT-CET) is held for those candidates who want to take admission into Technology, Health sciences, Pharmacy and Engineering programs offered at the undergraduate level in government/government aided and private colleges across the state of Maharashtra.
- EAMCET: Engineering, Agriculture and Medical Common Entrance Test (EAMCET)is an entrance examination which is conducted by Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University, Hyderabad. This examination governs admissions to various engineering and medical colleges. Exam Results are declared every year after which a counseling and admission process follows. The exam consists of multiple choice questions.
- Delhi CEE: The University of Delhi holds the Combined Entrance Examination (CEE) for admission to the first Semesters of Bachelor of Engineering Courses. The exam is for candidates from the Delhi region, who have passed their Class 12 exams from Schools/Colleges/Institute located within the territory of Delhi. The CEE score is used to select candidates for the Delhi College of Engineering (DCE), also known as Delhi Technological University, and Netaji Subhash Institute of Technology (NSIT).
- CETK: The CETK or KCET (Karnataka Common Entrance Test) is an entrance test for under-graduate professional courses like the Indian System of Medicine & Homeopathy, as well as Engineering / Technology programs offered by Government, Aided, Private Un-aided Minority / Non-minority institutions of Karnataka state. Candidates seeking admission for architecture programs need to compulsorily appear for NATA (National Aptitude Test in Architecture). Every year Karnataka Examination Authority (KEA) holds the responsibility of conducting CETK. This year CETK was conducted on May 1&2 at various centers in Karnataka.
For details on other engineering entrance examinations, click here.
For frequent updates you can share with your friends,