As aspirants of a reputed B-school we are sure most of you are anxiously waiting for the GD-PI calls. Since success in group discussions cannot be achieved with minimal preparations, we hope you are busy planning your strategies to successfully crack your GD. Apart from brushing up your basic skills such as communication skills, body language and vocabulary, looking into some old and common GD topics would help you get an idea of what you can expect and save you some shock.
Let us look at some of the topics asked in previous years:
- Advertising is legalized lying-IIM Lucknow
- Tabs will soon replace libraries-NMIMS
- Is MBA a must to be successful as a manager? -JBIMS
- Should the content of social sites be pre-scrutinized or checked afterwards?-IIM Shillong
- Social Networking sites are a waste of time for the youth-XLRI
- Government jobs provide no job satisfaction-Faculty of Management studies
- Design a social networking platform for the year 2025. Discuss 5 major features it will have. Come up with an innovative name and design for its wall-MICA (Group Exercise topic instead of GD)
Some of the other general topics mostly discussed are:
- Women make better bosses than men
- Management education is a luxury for a poor country like India
- Engineers joining management is a national waste
- Liberalization is leading to jobless growth
- Greed is good
- Deep blue is not blue enough
While most B-schools give you economic, political, abstract, sports and concrete topics to discuss upon, the trend of giving case studies is also equally preferred. Some of the case studies topics asked in the previous years are:
- A girl goes to a live in a community to learn about how they lead their lives. As a sign of integration in the community, she has to accept stolen goods. To be one among them she is forced to make an ethical decision.
- Case Study on Bhopal Gas Tragedy
- Student Council starts a stationery store within campus to benefit students. They purchase at wholesale prices and sell at rates cheaper than outside market. They gain handsome 10% profit margin. They plan to take up loan and expand services to nearby area too. However, few days later they face opposition from a group of students, claiming that the council have greater interests and are corrupt. What should the student council do?
- A new comer in a company struggles to mingle with oldies who are not serious about their job/ day-to-day work. Conflict between the two was given.
- A company has 3 products in juices category. One of the products is making losses while the same type of product is making profit for a rival company. Advice the company about the same.
Some of the hot topics you could expect this year:
- Obama’s win is good for India
- Is there gender bias in portraying women in ads?
- Activism is necessary for survival of democracy
- 1 Billion people, 1 silver medal
- Retail boom spells doom for the local grocer
Remember, although some GD topics remain to be the favorite of most B-schools GD panel, do not expect them to be repeated. Even if you get a repeated topic, think to give a fresh perspective to the issue to receive the appreciation of the panel. The golden rule is: Comprehend before making any contribution. Understand the topic, analyze the what, how where, why and other details and make meaningful logical arguments!
All the Best!!
For frequent updates you can share with your friends,