Avantika University - Admission open for Engineering - Apply Now!!   MIT Institute Of Design - Admission open for Design(Fashion Marketing & Design Management) - Apply Now!!


MBA most preferred PG course; CAT,CMAT most popular entrance exam

Published On: 03 Feb 2014 | Last Updated On: 03 Feb 2014

Master of Business Administration (MBA) is the most sought-after postgraduate (PG) course, despite the notion that the MBA qualification is losing its mojo in the face of a dip in demand and increase in the number of vacant seats due to diminishing job prospects and low remunerations offered. This information is evident from the 'MBA in India' survey conducted by India College Search. The survey shows that popularity of MBA courses is increasing in the major metro cities of India.

According to the 'MBA in India' survey, out of the 100 top Indian cities in terms of population, the eight top cities acquired around 61% of the total searches. The rest of the 92 cities got a mere 39% of the searches made for MBA. Moreover, the survey states that interest for MBA is growing in cities such as Ahmedabad, Hyderabad, Kolkata, Noida and Indore.

The data sourced for the survey was segregated as per zone, city, age and gender for the years 2012 as well as 2013. The report was prepared on a sample of over two million searches – the total number of yearly searches to the IndiaCollegeSearch.com, which does not include unique visits. The searches were made by students as well as working professionals from India and overseas regarding MBA educational facilities in India.

The maximum searches for MBA courses came from the cities of Chennai, Bangalore, Pune, Mumbai and New Delhi. Bangalore stands second in the total number of searches and has bagged the top spot in terms of searches from overseas students, according to the survey.

The survey reports add that in terms of age, the highest interest was shown by the 21-24 age-group. Searches made by women were higher by 4%.

As per the survey, the two most popular entrance examinations are the Common Admission Test (CAT) and the Common Management Admission Test (CMAT). Other tests featuring among the top five are Symbiosis National Aptitude Test (SNAP), Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) and ICFAI Business School Aptitude Test (IBSAT).

The survey reports claim that MBA in Finance received the highest number of searches, followed by Human Resources in the second spot and Marketing in the third.

In terms of salary, the survey states that in 2013, the average annual salary offered to students placed from institutes that accept CAT scores was Rs. 2.79 lakh, which is a slight increase from Rs. 2.72 lakh offered in the previous year. The average annual salary offered to institutes accepting CMAT scores increased to around Rs. 2.23 lakh in 2013, from around Rs. 2.20 lakh in 2012.

Source: The Hindu

Do you like this story?
comments powered by Disqus
subscribe to our Newsletter