If you are a commerce student who is writing 12th board exams and is confused over which career path to take after class 12, fret not. Commerce is among the most sought after academic stream in India. A student can go about pursuing a program in the commerce field which educates a person about the know-how of a business, management practices or specifically accounting and finance.
Usually, after the course completion in the commerce field, a person becomes well –versed with the basics of trade, economics, market policies and fluctuations. The commerce stream is broadly divided into – Finance, Accounting, Economics, E-Commerce and Business Administration.
For a class 12 commerce student, one will be aware of the basic concepts in Accountancy, Economics, Business Studies, and Mathematics. These foundations will help further in doing a commerce degree. We have listed some of the undergraduate courses which you can pursue here:
- Bachelors of Business Administration (BBA)
- Bachelors of Commerce (BCom)
- Bachelor of Business Management (BBM)
- Bachelor of Foreign Trade Management
- Bachelor of Management studies
- Bachelor in Arts (BA)
You can further choose to specialize in a particular field. For example, some colleges/universities offer BCom in Banking & Insurance or BCom with computers and so forth. You can also choose to do five year Integrated BBA + MBA. One can also do specifically a Taxation UG or diploma or stock broking diploma after 12th commerce.
Now you can opt for professional courses after the completion of your class 12th or you can choose to appear for these exams simultaneously or once the UG is completed. Here you can pursue:
- Chartered Accountancy (CA)
- Company Secretary ship (CS)
- Cost and Work Accountant (CWA)
- It’s not just the commerce degrees though. Apart from the above courses, a student can opt to study in other verticals too except for the science stream courses. Some of them are:
- Law (LLB)
- Economics (BA)
- Hotel Management
- Fashion Design
- Retail Management
- Bachelor of Computer Applications (BCA)
We also list some of the major industries in the commerce sector and the professions that a commerce student can aspire to enter:
- Banking - Retail / Personal Banking, Corporate Banking, Merchant Banking, Treasury Group, Rural Banking, Product Management, Loans Executive.
- Accounts - Chartered Accountant, Cost And Work Accountant, Certified Financial Analyst, Certified financial planner.
- Insurance - Actuarial Science, Insurance and Risk management, Insurance surveyor, Insurance surveyor, Insurance agent.
- Investments - Equity Research Analyst, Investment Banker, Mutual fund executive, Stock Broker, Capital market manager, Forex Dealer, Venture Capitalist, Real estate.
- Management - Human Resource Management, Brand Management, Event Management, International business management, Market Research Management, Retail Management, Marketing And Sales Management, Technology management, Disaster management, Education management, NGO management, Rural Management, Operation And Logistics Management, Export Management, Family business management, Material management, Financial Management, Business Development Management.
- Finance - Certified Financial Analyst - CFA, Certified Financial Planner – CFP.
- Company Secretary- Legal officer, company secretary.