RCB Faridabad offers MSc-PhD (Integrated) Biotechnology Program 2019
The Regional Centre for Biotechnology (RCB) Faridabad is offering MSc-PhD (Integrated) Biotechnology Program 2019, according to biogechtimes.org. The PhD (Integrated) degree program (MSc-PhD) in Biotechnology is being provided to students with a graduate degree in any discipline of science, engineering or medicine. The program in its first year (first and second semester) provides enhanced learning opportunities in the broad field of life sciences and biotechnology through rigorous classroom teaching and hands-on laboratory experiments.
In the second year, the student is mostly required to work in a research laboratory under the supervision of a research guide in an area of mutual scientific interest and submit a Master’s dissertation at the end of the fourth semester. Based on the performance review of the student, he may be advised to exit the program with a Master’s degree (provided all academic and other requirements have been fulfilled) or permitted to continue in the program for pursuing the PhD thesis research in the same laboratory. At this stage, the student can also exercise his choice to exit the program with a Master’s degree on satisfactory completion of the course and dissertation requirements.
The PhD (Integrated) program is governed by the RCB ordinances and regulations. The course curriculum has a very significant emphasis on laboratory training and following the completion of the coursework the student is required to work for a Master’s dissertation followed by a PhD thesis.
- Students with 60% aggregate marks (or an equivalent grade point average) in Bachelor’s degree in any branch of Science, Engineering, or Medicine are eligible to apply for admission. Students from the SC, ST, OBC (non-creamy layer), and PWD categories shall be given a relaxation of 5% aggregate marks
- Students in the final year of their qualifying degree program are also eligible to apply provided that they produce a proof of having secured the required scores in their undergraduate degree program at the time of admission to the PhD (Integrated) program.
- Eligible students are required to appear for the Joint Graduate Entrance Examination for Biology and Interdisciplinary Life Sciences (JGEEBILS)
- The last date for applying for JGEEBILS is November 15, 2018
- Shortlisted students, based on their performance in the JGEEBILS, shall be invited to appear for the interview for their final selection to the PhD (Integrated) program
- The discussion is to assess the student for his science aptitude and interest in a career in scientific research and development. Up to 20 students, who meet the desired criteria for selection, may be admitted. There shall be reservation of seats for students from the SC, ST, OBC and PWD categories as per the orders of the Government of India in this regard
- Students with 60% aggregate marks (or an equivalent grade point average) in Bachelor’s degree in any branch of Science, Engineering, or Medicine are eligible to apply for admission
- Students in the final year of their qualifying degree program are also eligible to apply provided that they produce a proof of having secured the required marks in their undergraduate degree program at the time of admission to the PhD (Integrated) program
- Eligible students are required to apply online for admission and fellowship to the program
- Shortlisted students shall be invited to appear for a Skype-based interview for their selection to the PhD (Integrated) program
- The interview is to assess the student for his science aptitude and interest in a career in scientific research and development
- Up to 5 students, who meet the desired criteria for selection, may be admitted. Admission of international students is subject to them getting the student visa from the Government of India.
- The Indian and international students admitted to the program shall receive the RCB-Ramachandran-DBT fellowship Rs. 16000 per month for the first two years of the program
- After which the Indian students shall be required to qualify for the junior/senior research fellowships offered by CSIR, ICMR, DBT, or other such funding agencies
- The performance of the international students, after completion of their MSc component of the program, shall be evaluated by the Student Advisory Committee and based on its positive recommendation the student shall be awarded the RCB-DBT International Doctoral fellowship equivalent to the scholarships offered to Indian students from different funding agencies as per the relevant DST guidelines.
- Currently, the amount of the junior research fellowship is Rs. 25000 per month and it is Rs. 28000 per month for the senior research fellowship.
The duration of the PhD (Integrated) program is a minimum of 5 years and a maximum of 7 years.
On campus shared boarding and lodging facilities are available for admitted students on payment of prescribed fees.
- The academic administration fee for the first semester is Rs.5, 000, second semester Rs.5, 000 and semester three onwards, each semester Rs.5,000
- The tuition fee for the first semester is Rs.6, 000, second semester, Rs.6, 000.
- The laboratory fee is Rs.6, 000, Rs.6, 000 and Rs.6, 000.
- The medical fee also Rs.3,000 for each semester
- Hostel fee for each semester is Rs.1,200
- In addition to that, caution money amount of Rs.5, 000 is payable at the time of admission
- The PhD thesis examination fee of Rs.10,000 is payable at the time of PhD thesis submission
- Hostel electricity charges are as per the installed meter, and the cooperative mess charges are to be paid as per the actual
- The fees may be revised during the course as per the provisions in the RCB ordinance in this regard.
- Eligible candidates may apply online for admission to the PhD (Integrated) program of the Regional Centre for Biotechnology
- The application fee of Rs. 500 may be paid online
- The SC, ST, PWD candidates and international students are exempted from payment of the application fee
- The last date for applying for admission to RCB is February 28, 2019, for the Indian students and March 31, 2019, for the foreign students
- The last date to apply for JGEEBILS is November 15, 2018. For any queries, you can send mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.Image source: Animesh Kar