Alternate ways to acquire copies of degree certificates

Higher Education Department

The higher education department has simplified the process of obtaining duplicate copies of mark sheets and degree certificates but for a price, of course.

Speaking to TOI, secretary in the higher education department, Sunil Paliwal said that from now on a candidate only had to apply for a duplicate certificate with an ID proof and required a fee to get the certificate issued in a few days. The new system has come into effect.

The duplicate issued by the university will have the same details as the original and will be considered equivalent to that of the original. Before the new system came into effect, candidates were made to run from pillar to post for it. A candidate had to get a first information report (FIR) filed and get a non-traceable certificate after a wait of several weeks in order to apply for a duplicate with the concerned university. A police complaint was enough to obtain a duplicate mark sheet in case of losing the semester mark sheet.


“Apart from getting a non-traceable certificate from the police, candidates had to give an advertisement in the newspaper on the missing certificates. The university used to provide duplicate certificates after submission of both,” said an administrative staff member of Bharathidasan University.

If the duplicate certificate might have cost only ₹100 now, the delay of over a month and beyond in certain cases, mainly due to administrative delay, was more tiring for the candidate, said the staffer.

“It is potentially possible for any candidate should be able to get a duplicate copy of his or her certificate any number of times. Students need not go to the police station as per the new rule and should be offered a duplicate copy on furnishing a valid identity proof,” said Sunil Paliwal.

However, he said that a reasonable charge had been fixed for it to avoid unnecessary claims for duplicate copies.

Addressing queries on fake mark sheets

There are a lot of private organizations which are solving this problem for students. Whatsoever, students are not aware that they can carry out mark sheet verification by filing an RTI application. Under the Right to Information Act of 2005, it is possible to ask for verification of certificates from the university. These documents fall under the definition of “information” and can be demanded from the universities. This process can also be carried out for degree verification, either by students or by employers as part of their HR background verification process.

You can get the following information by filing this RTI

Mark sheet verified from the University (Govt. University)

Queries about suspected fake mark sheets

Leave a Comment