Andhra leads in the race of employability level among states in India
The newly formed south Indian state of Andhra Pradesh is leading the pack among the states in India regarding employability level, quoting a study by India Skills Report-2019, news agency, PTI reported. As per the report, AP is into the top of the chart, especially with the engineering graduates having the highest level of employability, noted the report.
The employability of B.Tech and B.E. graduates from AP showed an upward tick of a whopping 63.11% this year in contrast with 42.08% logged last year. Same is the scenario among business graduates. MBA and polytechnic graduates’ employability has risen to 47.18% and 45.90% respectively this year as against the previous year’s 44.90% and 35.85% respectively, quoting the study, the report said. The India Skills Report-2019, which is the sixth edition, captured insights and trends from the most substantial employability test that was spread out to 3200 universities and professional institutions in the country, the release said.
While giving his views on the survey conducted by the India Skills Report on the report in a media statement, the Andhra Pradesh Skill Development Corporation (APSSDC) CEO and MD K Sambasiva Rao said the corporation’s initiatives in providing market-driven training programs were leading to the creation of a readily available talent pool. What is more, this is helping in effectively meeting the skilled workforce needs of various sectors. Our focus is on structuring and delivering high-quality, industry-relevant training courses to students and unemployed youth to enhance their employability quotient.”
The APSSDC had drawn up grand plans to further expand its activities in collaboration with academia, industry and training agencies to create top-class skilling infrastructure and make Andhra Pradesh as the skills capital of the country, Rao further said in the statement.
According to the report, a small percentage of students in all states would have done at least an internship in the past year or so. Meanwhile, in another insight from the report was that close to 80 per cent of candidates assessed were keen to explore internship opportunities as they believed it would help them in being more employable, added the report.
The Government of AP has formed seven different ‘Missions’ to achieve double-digit growth for the state and to make AP among the most developed state in the country. Among these, the ‘Knowledge and Skills Mission’ has been formed to provide trained and skilled manpower to all other Missions.
To bring the faster execution State Government Andhra Pradesh has established The Department of Skill Development, Entrepreneurship and Innovation (DSDEI) have been further created to coordinate and synergise skilling efforts of all departments. Under which APSSDC and SEEDAP are formed.
- To target 20 million people in AP in the next 15 years towards skilling and entrepreneurship to meet skilled human power demands of all Missions and shape AP as the skilled-workforce and knowledge hub for the world
- The Government of Andhra Pradesh has the vision (Swarna Andhra Vision 2029) to make Andhra Pradesh among the three best states in India by 2022 when India celebrates its 75th year of independence and to achieve the status of a developed state by 2029.
- Andhra Pradesh itself will have a requirement of approximately 10 million Skilled workers between 2012 till 2022, across the high-priority and emerging sectors.
Andhra Pradesh – Scenario
- Andhra Pradesh has a population of 4.94 crores and it is the tenth populous state of the country
- The state has 13 districts
- Andhra Pradesh is strategically located with a 974 km coastline,
- The state has 30 existing urban centres, three mega cities and 12 smart cities planned
- Andhra Pradesh has considerable potential for the job market as the various industrial belts are prepared.