Do You Love Sports
Did you say YES? Then you are among those who are blessed with” a healthy mind in a healthy body”. This is a translation of an old Latin phrase ‘Mens sana in corporate sano ‘This is true because if the body which houses the mind is healthy then the mind which lives in it will also be healthy.
Some important aspects of making a healthy body are good food and sufficient physical exercise. The easiest and most entertaining way of getting physical exercise is indulging in some outdoor sports. Playing outdoor games, which may include jogging and trekking, swimming and rafting apart from the usual football, cricket tennis etc. are very good as they not only provide pleasure and relaxation but also keep a check on our weight and give the muscles enough exercise to become supple and active. All games which involve physical exercise are good even skipping rope or playing hide and seek because they all make the muscles of the bodywork.
The various sports institutes are
- Indira Gandhi Institute of Physical Education – Delhi, India
- Bombay Physical Culture Associations College – Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
- Netaji Subhash National Institute of Sports
- Amity University, Noida
- University of Calcutta
- University of Madras
- Osmania University
- University of Mysore
The various National awards in the sports arena are:
- Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award is given for the spectacular and most outstanding performance in the field of sports by a sportsperson over a period of four years
- Arjuna Award is given for consistently outstanding performance for four years
- Dronacharya Award for coaches for producing medal winners at prestigious international sports events
- Dhyan Chand Award for lifetime contribution to sports
- Rashtriya Khel Protsahan Puruskar is given to the corporate entities private and public sector and individuals who have played a visible role in the area of sports promotion and development.
- Overall top performing university in inter-university tournaments is given Maulana Abul Kalam Azad (MAKA) Trophy.
Physical exercise is very important for a person’s well being that is why it is recommended by doctors as an important preventive measure against many lifestyle diseases such as heart attacks, high blood pressure etc.. Thankfully authorities world over have realized the importance of physical exercise and its contribution towards good health. It is in this process that governments are making sports a lucrative alternative in the job market, a boost is being given to popularising sports and making a career in sports as a good alternative to the traditional jobs.