GATE 2019 Syllabus for Ecology and Evolution

About GATE 2019 – To offer admission into M.Tech/M.Sc in engineering/ technology/ architecture and P.hD Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is a national level examination, and GATE 2019 exam is managed by the IIT, Madras. In relevant branches of science, it is conducted. GATE 2019 Mock Tests have been released.

The topics have been divided into two categories into each of the following subjects. On core topics, the corresponding sections of the question paper will contain 90% of their questions and the remaining 10% on Special Topics.

 

Syllabus of Ecology and Evolution – GATE 2019

Ecology

Growth rates; density-independent growth; density-dependent growth; niche concept; Population ecology; metapopulation dynamics;

Global and climate change; applied ecology; Ecosystem structure, function and services; nutrient cycles; biomes; habitat ecology; primary and secondary productivity; invasive species;

Species interactions: Trophic interactions; functional ecology; ecophysiology; Plant-animal interactions; mutualism, commensalism, competition and predation; behavioural ecology;

Community ecology: Biodiversity: species richness, evenness and diversity indices; Community assembly, organisation and evolution; endemism; species-area relationships.

 

Evolution

Genetic drift; gene flow; adaptation; convergence; species concepts;Types of selection (stabilizing, directional etc.); sexual selection; Biogeography and evolutionary ecology;

Origin of genetic variation; Mendelian genetics; polygenic traits, linkage and recombination; epistasis, gene-environment interaction; Life history strategies; adaptive radiation; heritability; population genetics;

Systems of classification: cladistics and phenetics; molecular systematics; gene expression and evolution; Molecular evolution; molecular clocks;

 

Behavioural Ecology

Mate choice; parenting behaviour Competition; aggression; foraging behaviour; predator-prey interactions; Sociobiology: kin selection, altruism, costs and benefits of group-living; evolutionary ethology; chemical, acoustic and visual signalling; Classical ethology; neuroethologyMating systems; sexual dimorphism.

 

Mathematics and Quantitative Ecology

Permutations and combinations; basic probability (probability of random events; sequences of events, etc); Mathematics and statistics in ecology; Simple functions (linear, quadratic, exponential, logarithmic, etc); concept of derivatives and slope of a function frequency distributions and their descriptive statistics (mean, variance, coefficient of variation, correlation, etc)

Statistical hypothesis testing: Type I and Type II error, test statistics like t-test and Chi-square test; Concept of p-value; basics of linear regression and ANOVA.

 

Exam Pattern for GATE 2019

 

Section Question No No of Questions Marks per Question Total Marks
         
General Aptitude 1 to 5 5 1 5
  6 to 10 5 2 10
Technical &  Engineering 1 to 25 25 1 25
Mathematics 26 to 55 30 2 60

 

Total Questions: 65

Total Marks: 100

Total Duration : 3 hours

Technical Section: 70 marks

General Aptitude: 15 marks

Engineering Mathematics: 15 marks

25 marks to 40 marks will be allotted to Numerical Answer Type Questions

 

Reference Books for Ecology and Evolution- GATE 2019

  •  Cell Biology, Genetics, Molecular Biology, Evolution & Ecology by Verma P.S
  • Microbiology by Micheal Pelczar
  • Principles of genetics by Gardner, Simmons, Snustad
  • Principles and Techniques of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology by Wilson/Walker
  • Test and evolution: Life sciences/Biotechnology by Pranav Kumar
  • Fundamentals and Techniques of Biophysics and Molecular Biology by Pranav Kumar
  • Human Ecology in the Vedas (Reconstructing Indian History and Culture) by Marta Vannucci
  • Ecological Readings in the Veda: Matter, Energy, Life (Reconstructing Indian History and Culture) by Marta Vannucci

Image source: Fancycrave

Other GATE 2019 Syllabus and Information

 

Leave a Comment