IIT Madras forges alliance with Tamil Nadu e-Governance Agency for enhancing data-driven governance
The Robert Bosch Centre for Data Science and Artificial Intelligence (RBC-DSAI) at Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Madras is collaborating with the Tamil Nadu e-Governance Agency for enhancing data-driven governance in the State, according to NDTV report. This will be carried out by working closely with various official branches and entities within the government of Tamil Nadu, said a statement from the institute.
These collaborations are expected to contribute towards multiple aspects of governance, including but not limited to, education, healthcare, and agriculture, the statement added. Santhosh K. Misra I.A.S, Chief Executive Officer, Tamil Nadu e-Governance Agency, and Prof Ravindra Gettu, Dean (Industrial Consultancy and Sponsored Research), IIT Madras, signed the MoU on behalf of their respective institutions. The MoU was exchanged at a function held in Chennai today (October 9, 2018) in the presence of Minister of Information Technology Mr Manikandan and Secretary of IT Mr Santhosh Babu.
Speaking about the importance of this project, Dr Nandan Sudarsanam, Assistant Professor, Department of Management Studies, IIT Madras, said, “Societal impact through AI is a central objective of RBC-DSAI at IIT Madras. We believe that by teaming up with the TNeGA, we can contribute to multiple pillars of the government, covering areas such as education, health-care, and agriculture.”
Expressing happiness about this collaboration, Santhosh K Misra IAS said, “Today Governance needs to move from demand mode of service delivery to predictive mode of service delivery. We need to deliver the services to people even before they ask. The Governments need to tap the power of AI, IoT, Blockchain and Drones in addressing the needs of their citizens. Tamil Nadu Government is the First state Government to collaborate with a premier research institute like IITM for harnessing the power of Artificial Intelligence and Blockchain technology in areas of health, education and agriculture.”
The Robert Bosch Centre for Data Science and Artificial Intelligence (RBC-DSAI) was founded in August 2017, in IIT Madras with a vision to expand and further the research, education and outreach activities in the areas of Data Science and Artificial Intelligence. RBC-DSAI comprises faculty from several departments across the Institute, who research various fields of data science and artificial intelligence. The long-term vision of RBC-DSAI is to become a world leader in data science research, where long-standing fundamental research problems, cutting across disciplines, are targeted and solved.
The Mission & Vision
- The mission achieve global prominence in the areas of Data Science and Artificial Intelligence research by carrying out fundamental research, creating top-quality researchers and intellectual properties which will result in a significant societal impact
- The vision is to focus and work on Fundamental Research in the areas of deep learning, network analytics, learning with limited and partial data, causal modelling, data science specific system architecture and reinforcement knowledge
- Applied Research in four verticals such as manufacturing analytics, financial analytics, smart cities, systems biology and health care. Quality Education in AI and Data Science by offering dual Degree in data sciences, online courses, workshops, industry-oriented specialised training and special scholarships. Societal impact by fostering start-ups with high worth intellectual capital catering to the Indian market
- Creating and hosting a repository for datasets relevant to ecosystem
- Conducting focused skill development program for various industries
- Working with government agencies to address problems of interest to the nation
The RBC-DSAI is one of the few centres in the world for data science and AI applications in various engineering disciplines. With the increased availability of data from online social media, transactions and sensors increasingly AI is focusing on networked data or relational data. We have one of the largest groups in rbc-dsai.iitm.ac.in the country looking at networked data across different disciplines – biology, transportation, water distribution, process modelling, online social media, telecom, and reaction networks. Deep Reinforcement Learning is at the cutting edge of the new AI revolution and is responsible for the many path-breaking developments in AI recently. The Centre has the largest Deep Reinforcement Learning group in India and one of the largest in academia in the world.