IIT Mandi invites applications for short term course on FEMER 2019
The Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Mandi has invited for applications for a short-term course on Finite Element Method for Engineers and Researchers (FEMER) 2019, from June 24-28, 2019. As per the India Today report, the aspiring candidates might as well visit the official website, iitandi.ac.in/stc/femer/index.php by registering themselves to apply before May 30. The course is specifically aimed at engineers and researchers, while the objective of the one-week course is to introduce the participants to Finite Element Analysis (FEA) based numeric simulations using commercial software packages such as ANSYS, LS-DYNA and ABAQUS, noted the report.
- Prof. Indira Vir Singh, IIT Roorkee
- Dr. Rajeev Kumar, IIT Mandi
- Dr. Himanshu Pathak, IIT Mandi
- Dr. Subhamoy Sen, IIT Mandi
- Dr. Pramod Kumar, IIT Mandi
- Dr. Arpan Gupta, IIT Mandi
- Dr. Gaurav Bhutani, IIT Mandi
Dr. Himanshu Pathak, Course Coordinator and Assistant Professor, School of Engineering, IIT Mandi, emphasising the benefit of the course, said, “FEM is a numerical and computer-based technique for solving a variety of practical engineering problems that arise in different domain namely structural analysis, fluid flow, heat transfer, vibrations, electrical and magnetic fields and more. What is more, the course will have detailed discussion on finite element methodology for different engineering problem domains.
This one week course has been designed to introduce FEM to engineers and researchers so that they will be equipped to solve scientific problems. This course will be specifically beneficial for engineering students, engineers and scientists working in various institutions. At the end of the course, participants may be in a position to identify and select appropriate finite element methodologies for specific conditions.”
As per the report, the course is open to the faculty members, students from Engineering Institutes/ Colleges/ Polytechnics and Practicing Engineers and Researchers from Industries and R&D institutions. The course will also provide a thorough idea of the FEM fom the fundamental concepts to more advanced topics to the participants which will help them to write their own codes and implement these novel methods to solve numeric simulations. At the end of this course, the participants will be in a position to identify and select appropriate finite element methodologies for specific conditions.
- Exposing the participants to need of computational approach and scope of FEM solutions
- Fundamental implementation concepts in FEM, Weighted residual methods/ weak form formulations, application in structural and thermal problem
- Explore non – linear FEM, solution methodology by non – linear FEM and case study
- Limitations of FEM, Extension of a partition of unity framework and enrichment technique for novel computational methodology like XFEM
- Train the participants with the implementation of FEM, Non-linear FEM and XFEM and discuss convergence and effectiveness of the method through the solution of a wide range of realistic engineering problems
- Detailed programming and implementation sessions of FEM and XFEM; where participants will gain an understanding of MATLAB code for these computational techniques
- Base program for the computational methods will be given to understand the working of codes.
- Intimation of selection will be communicated to the participants by 10th June 2019
- It is the most powerful method for the analysis of engineering issues
- It is capable of handling geometry complicated domains, a variety of boundary conditions, non – linearity and coupled phenomenon those are common in real life problems
- The physical knowledge of method enhances the analysis skill and provides a greater understanding of the problems being solves
- Commercial software packages based on the finite element method are often used in industrial, research and academic institutions for the solution of engineering and scientific problems related to solid mechanics, fluid mechanics, heat transfer, electro-magnetics and structural dynamics
- The intelligent use of these software packages and correct interpretation of the output is often predicted on knowledge of the basic concept of FEM