Madurai Kamaraj University offers B.Ed. Programme through Distance Education
Established in 1966 by the Government of Tamil Nadu Madurai Kamaraj University is conferred with the status of “University with potential for excellence” by the University Grants Commission. Only a very few universities in India has been given this status by the UGC. With over 50 years of experience and expertise in education, the Madurai Kamaraj University is responsible for the higher education in the regions of South Central Tamil Nadu. At least three universities, including the Alagappa University, is an offshoot of the Madurai Kamaraj University
The Directorate of Distance Education is responsible for the distance learning programs offered by the University. Started as the Institute of Correspondence Course and Continuing Education in 1971, the Directorate of Distance Education has an objective of taking education to everyone by offering multiple modes of learning and a wide variety of courses to choose from. DDE offers undergraduate, postgraduate, diploma and certificate courses in 167 disciplines and has a student strength of over 1.5 lakhs.
Bachelor of Education
Bachelor of Education is a 2-year program offered by the Directorate of Distance Education of Madurai Kamaraj University with the objective to providing necessary training and knowledge for the practising teachers and helping them with the skills required for teaching at secondary level. The course also helps the teachers with elementary experience to share the teaching experiences they have. The duration of the program is two years, but the student will have five years to complete the course.
The Bachelor of Education (B.Ed.) course has a wide variety of academic eligibility criteria allowing both in-service teachers and aspiring students to join the course without any difference. Some of the eligibility criteria are
- Diploma in Teacher Education (D.T.Ed) recognised by the National Council for Teacher Education (NCTE), Indian Government through direct face to face mode.
- Practising teacher with an undergraduate diploma in recognized courses. The courses include Tamil and English literature, Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics and related disciplines.
- School teachers with a postgraduate degree in home science, economics and commerce with an undergraduate degree in the same discipline.
- Candidates must have completed a degree in 10+1+3 or 10+2+3 pattern or dual-degree post graduation of 5 years.
- Candidates must be working in a school in Tamil Nadu recognized by the State or Central Government.
- Candidates who completed a right degree without +2 are not eligible.
Admission process will follow the community reservation guidelines prescribed by the Government of Tamil Nadu. If there are not enough candidates to fill the quota reserved for a specific community, the seats will be filled under open quota.
Prospectus and Application form can be obtained by paying Rs.1000 at the MKU study centres or online. If the application is downloaded online, it shall be submitted along with a demand draft of Rs.1000.
Image source: The Hindu