Mechanical Engineering – Career options for mechanical engineers
Mechanical Engineering – In today’s world, mechanical engineers are propelling developments in fields such as composites, mechatronics and nanotechnology. These engineers aim to ease the lifestyle with the advancements in technology to further advance the world around us, providing more comfort, ease and economic vitality globally. Today, we find that mechanical engineers have made a benchmark with their creations, innovations and inventions in almost all the aspects of life. In case, you also aspire to become a mechanical engineer, check out the information provided below that would help you in finding the right path, says a TOI report.
Steps to becoming a Mechanical Engineer are as follows:
- The first step of becoming a mechanical engineer is to take admission into the Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech)
- Many academic institutions offer different specialisation in B.Tech
- To gain admission in this four-year undergraduate course, you need to have a minimum of 50% aggregate with Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics as the main subjects in Class XII
- Further, you must be good in analytical, logical and problem-solving thinking approach to cater to the diverse ranges of productions
- To get admission to undergraduate engineering course, you need to qualify entrance exams such as – Joint Entrance Examination (Main), Joint Entrance Exam Advanced (for IITs), Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE ), VIT Entrance Engineering Exam (VITEEE) etc
- Most of the reputed public and private academic institutions take admission by scores obtained by the candidates in these entrance exams.
Mechanical engineers can make their career in the fields of i) Thermal engineering, ii) Manufacturing engineering, iii) Design engineering, iv) Industrial engineering and some of the other career fields for mechanical engineers include:
- This will consist of power using types of machinery like refrigerators, air conditioners, televisions and many more electronics
- The proper functioning of nuclear and thermal power plants lie in the same
Aerospace and Automobiles
- This will include designing and creation of the engines, designing of the parts of machinery and handling other automated systems in a vehicle
- This will cater to designing, maintaining, running the Robot and ensuring it meets the demands of its creation
- The mechanical engineers can further focus on meeting requirements to inbuilt the human senses into it and to think about how creatively as well as effectively this can be done
- Moreover, if one wants to be more equipped with additional knowledge and degrees, one can further do Masters in Engineering or postgraduate diploma of the same branch.
- Internship program during the course and job placement after graduation is an integral part of the university’s annual curriculum
- The students while pursuing engineering, undertake internships programs under certain companies and brands which collaborate with the various respective universities
- The internship program makes the students familiar with the practical knowledge of mechanical engineering, and if they excel during the internship period, the chance of getting a permanent job is higher
- In most of the institutions, the final year students get a chance to participate in campus placement drive where various companies visit, conduct interviews and job seminars for freshers
- The ones who qualify the recruitment criteria get jobs in reputed companies while still studying
The average annual package for a Mechanical Engineer at the beginning of their career can range from Rs 3-3.5 lakh
The pay can rise in the following years depending on the technical training, experience and skills acquired