Mechanical Engineering, Scope and Career Opportunities
Mechanical Engineering is associated with some aspects such as designing machines, analysing and manufacturing mechanical products and systems. Mechanical Engineering is perhaps the oldest among the engineering streams. In a nutshell, mechanical engineering is involved with design, production and operation of machinery.
If you want to become a mechanical engineer, you need to have a bachelor degree in mechanical engineering from a recognised university in India or abroad. BE Mechanical course involves typically 4-5 years of study. After graduation, you can also pursue a post-graduate degree in engineering/technology/science. Also, you can pursue Ph.D., if you are interested in a career in academia and research.
Typically, the mechanical engineers create and build devices. They apply the fundamentals of science and math to create practical, useful solutions that the rest of us can use. The mechanical engineering field is diverse some of the most common functions related to mechanical engineering are as follows:
- Product design – A mechanical engineer designs anything that uses mechanical motion to develop products useful to humanity.
- Research and development – A mechanical engineer also discover and improves methods to human needs.
- Manufacturing – Mechanical engineers develop machines that process materials into products.
- Design machines- To design and build computers and systems that improve the efficiency and yields quality products with minimum costs.
- System management – They also supervise and oversee the operations of large systems like power plants and more.
The scope of mechanical engineering – There is a massive demand for skilled mechanical engineers in India and abroad. The expertise of a mechanical engineer is required in manufacturing industries like automobiles, aviation, etc. In recent times and due to the advent in technology, the skills of a mechanical engineer are sought in fields such as nanotechnology, biomedical engineering, energy conservation and more. According to reports, the growth in this industry it is said within the next few years, mechanical engineering will be the highest paid career option.
Career options for a mechanical engineer
Mechanical engineers can work in industries like thermal power plants, gas turbines, oil, refining, agriculture, education, aviation, automobile, armed forces, pharmaceutical and much more.
Job roles for a mechanical engineer
There is a slew of job options for a mechanical engineer to choose from such as Automotive engineer, Biomedical engineer, Consulting, Heating, ventilation, and air, conditioning(HVAC) engineer, Nuclear engineer, Robotics engineer and Teaching.
Mechanical engineers can find employment at virtually any institute where innovation takes place. They commonly work in the government, research, industry, military, teaching, management or consulting sectors.
Industries/Companies who hire mechanical engineers
Automobile and auto part manufacturers, Aerospace industry, Various Government sector undertakings, Aviation companies, Steel plants, Thermal plants and gas turbine manufacturers, Air conditioning and refrigeration industry, Shipping industry, Engineering consultancies and Armed forces.
Salary structure for a mechanical engineer
The typical salary range for a mechanical engineer fresher is between Rs. 10,000 to Rs. 25,000. The salary differs as per the industry and the level of the company. Some salary packages often vary based on your skills, experience, expertise and the nature of the roles and responsibilities you handle. Skilled professionals can take away a high salary as Rs. 40,000-45,000.
Top Colleges/Universities in India offering Mechanical Engineering
- Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi
- Indian Institute of Technology, IIT Bombay
- Indian Institute of Technology, IIT Madras
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur
- Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee
- Birla Institute of Technology and Science, BITS-Pilani
- Indian Institute of Technology, BHU-Varanasi
- Indian Institute of Technology, Guwahati
- National Institute of Technology, NIT Trichy
- National Institute of Technology, NITK, Surathkal
- Jadavpur University (Faculty of Engineering & Technology)
- Motilal Nehru National Institute of Technology
- PSG College of Technology
- Malaviya National Institute of Technology
- Thapar University
Top Colleges/Universities abroad offering Mechanical Engineering
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), USA
- Stanford University, USA
- University of Cambridge, UK
- The University of California, Berkeley (UCB), USA
- University of Michigan, USA
- Imperial College London, UK
- Georgia Institute of Technology, USA
image source: Shoaib SR