National Institute of Epidemiology offers Master of Public Health Course
National Institute of Epidemiology offers Master of Public Health Course – MPH-HSDR – Of Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute for Medical Sciences and Technology (SCTIMST), the National Institute of Epidemiology (NIE) is conducting two programmes and one among them is the Master of Public Health (Health services Development Research) (MPH-HSDR) since 2008, at NIE, Chennai. By training the ‘in-service’ health professionals working in government health departments, these programmes were primarily aimed at developing a cadre of trained public health professionals in the country.
With an emphasis on public health practices in India, MPH (Epidemiology and Health Systems) programme is designed to introduce the students to the basic principles of public health. The student is expected to develop the following seven technical core competencies upon completion of the MPH.
- Master the methods in epidemiology upon understanding the scope and concepts
- Evaluate public health surveillance after proper planning and implementation
- The Investigation of the outbreaks
- Comprehend the biological, social, behavioural, environmental determinants affecting health
- In accordance with principles of human subject protection, conduct public health research
- Communicate public health information to lay and professional audiences
- To effectively design, develop, implement and evaluate the public health interventions, conceptualize the elements of health systems
Brief on the course description
Comprising of four contact sessions across 13 months at NIE interspersed with three field postings of 11 months duration in total, the MPH (Epidemiology and Health Systems) is a two-year programme
The government-sponsored and private candidates shall access the admission for its open to them. For the course, twenty-five candidates will be admitted. Sponsored by the Central/State Governments / Union Territories and Armed Forces, preference will be given to the candidates.
Pre-requisites for the course
- Candidates fulfilling the following criteria are eligible to apply for the course:
- By Medical Council of India, M.B.B.S. degree recognized
- Working in public health, preferably in State or Central Government Department or in Medical institutions, sponsored on deputation for two years on a full-time basis
- Three years experience in public health-related activities
- Should be up to 45 years old on the date of admission, i.e., 1st July of the year, SC/ST/OBC/PH as per Government of India rules, candidates will be eligible for age relaxation.
For the candidates sponsored by the State/Central Government Departments/Armed forces, there is no course fee.
From private institutions, for the non-sponsored government/private candidates and the sponsored candidates, the course fee is Rs.1, 00,000/= (Rupees One lakh only) (non-refundable), payable at the beginning of the course.
Method of selection
By SCTIMST, a Selection Committee constituted will select the candidates based on the following:
- Review of the application form
- Written test (if necessary)
- Personal interview at NIE, Chennai
Being followed by SCTIMST, reservation of seats will be as per Government of India norms. For the course, mere possession of the eligibility criteria will not entail selection. For a selection of the candidates, the decision of the Director, SCTIMST, shall be final.
During the months of January and February, the prescribed application form will be available in the Institute’s Website.
From 1st July, the course will commence.