Robert Bosch Centre for Data Science and AI inaugurated in IIT Madras
IIT Madras – The Robert Bosch Centre for Data Science and Artificial Intelligence (RBC-DSAI) was inaugurated at the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Madras or IITM yesterday, as per NDTV report. Bosch, leading multinational engineering and electronics behemoth from Germany, is infusing a fund of Rs. 20 crores (2.5 million euros) over five years in the centre.
The mission of the new centre is to create societal impact through multidisciplinary interactions with government, academic, research and industrial collaborators on core challenges in Data Science (DS) and Artificial Intelligence (AI), quoting a statement from the Institute.
Dr Michael Bolle, member of Bosch’s board of management, while speaking on the occasion, said, “Artificial Intelligence is a core technology for all areas of connected life – from connected mobility to buildings, factories, and cities. The expertise of our Indian engineers contributes to expanding the AI skills set of Bosch,”
The RBC-DSAI will undertake foundational research in many areas of AI and Data Science, namely deep learning, reinforcement learning, network analytics, interpretable machine learning, and domain aware AI, quoting the company statement, the report pointed out. The areas of activity include research projects, knowledge management and dissemination, outreach projects, and setting up collaborative facilities and laboratories.
Prof Bhaskar Ramamurthi, Director, IIT Madras said, “The centre’s mandate requires interaction with industry and other universities, including international student and faculty exchanges. The objective is to advance scientific innovation for societal benefit.”
Applied research will begin in four verticals: manufacturing analytics, financial analytics, smart cities, systems biology and health care. Several technologies currently require large datasets to improve their accuracy and to adopt these technologies for the Indian context, noted the report.
Prof B Ravindran, who heads RBC-DSAI, added: “The centre, in addition to fundamental research, is setting out on an ambitious task of creating a portal of curated, India specific data sets that are easy to access and interpret through a set of open tools and interfaces.”
The Robert Bosch Centre for Data Science and Artificial Intelligence (RBC-DSAI) was founded in August 2017, in IIT Madras with a vision to expand and further the research, education and outreach activities in the areas of Data Science and Artificial Intelligence. RBC-DSAI comprises faculty from several departments across the Institute, who carry out research in various areas of data science and artificial intelligence. The long-term vision of RBC-DSAI is to become a world leader in data science research, where long-standing fundamental research problems, cutting across disciplines, are targeted and solved.
- The RBC-DSAI is one of the few centres in the world for data science and AI applications in various engineering disciplines
- With the increased availability of data from online social media, transactions and sensors increasingly AI is focusing on networked data or relational data
- The Centre has one of the largest groups in rbc-dsai.iitm.ac.in the country looking at networked data across different disciplines biology, transportation, water distribution, process modelling, online social media, telecom, and reaction networks
- Deep Reinforcement Learning is at the cutting edge of the new AI revolution and is responsible for the many path-breaking developments in AI recently
- The Centre has the largest Deep Reinforcement Learning group in India and one of the largest in academia in the world